Underlay for laminate flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to lay laminate floor in my conservatory which has a steel base. Between the joists are Polystyrene foam panels followed by chipboard floorboards. Under the Polystyrene foam is just a gap between that and ground. I would like to know what would be the correct type of underlay to use for laminate flooring? The green spongy stuff, the Polystyrene type ones that have foil on it or just polystyrene roll ones?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I'm thinking to put the following product: http://www.screwfix.com/p/duralay-premier-wood-laminate-flooring-underlay-3mm-10m-10m/48485

Will this work? and if so, does the foil film side go on the chipboard side or the laminate flooring side?

You need an underlay without foil, the foil underlays are designed for use on concrete subfloors and protect against rising moisture, any moisture trapped between chipboard and the foil can potentially damaged the chipboard.

You need an underlay without foil, the foil underlays are designed for use on concrete subfloors and protect against rising moisture, any moisture trapped between chipboard and the foil can potentially damaged the chipboard.

Thanks for that. So which kind of underlay would you recommend for chipboard? If not the foil-backed one then the two options I can see is the "Diall 3mm Foam Laminate Floor Underlay" or the "Diall 6mm Fibreboard Laminate Floor Underlay"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back