Underpinning poor finish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Was wondering if anyone can help me i have just had a 10 meter long wall underpinned, obviously done in sections but now all the boarding is removed the underpinning looks really uneven where the section joins are, stepping in and out and some of them are bowed in a like arc where the weight of the concrete has distorted the ply before it went off!

I have never seen underpinning before and wasn't expecting some great smooth perfect wall but i did expect it to be level on the front and not like a wobbly uneven mess....i mean it looks like i did it ffs not professional builders so should it be this messy or should it be in line and reasonably smooth, or is this just the nature of underpinning. As it will need rendered now to hide the poor finish!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Underpinning is a totally joyless task that a good many builders would run a mile from.

The whole process is depressing from start to finish.

Anyhoo, is the concrete visible once the trench is back-filled?

Sponsored Links
I have had underpinning go well and it go bad can depend on location of it!
We have now started using metal shuttering so no bowing or bursting. It has still moved a bit it, depends on the amount of concrete being poured in. And how its reinforced, sometimes it not easy, sometimes a peice of piiissss! Photos please!

Underpinning is a totally joyless task that a good many builders would run a mile from.

The whole process is depressing from start to finish.

Anyhoo, is the concrete visible once the trench is back-filled?

There is 100mm of top soil an turf to go on yet so yes the underpinning will be visible.

Now it's done, I'd be tempted to build a low brick wall in front of it, or even brick tiles if space is limited.

Why didn't they do it in brickwork if its exposed?

And why was a structural engineer not involved to design and check the work?

As underpinning goes, it may be OK if it was in the ground, but obviously not OK if you have to look at it. And the builder should have known this

In all me born days, never seen so called underpinning all as your photos.
Traditional mass flood concrete underpinning is below the existing foundations and the existing foundations will be below ground level, consequently none of the underpin should be showing, except in possible basement excavation.
Regards oldun :eek:

That is very shoddy, poorly reinforced and supported shuttering,of course its gonna bow, you should had a structural engineer to give spec and sequence of shuttering. This is poorly done!! :cry:
Did they use mesh and tie the sections together with rebars? :confused:
What ratio of mix did they use? You should have all these details!
However, you have a very cheap price, i would have charged more than £1800.
Are you sure its safe? :eek:
Did they just pour concrete to the top or did they leave room for dry packing!?

Looks awful, probably just aesthetic but who knows. Lets hope there was engineers calcs/drawings and its been inspected and signed off by someone who counts and you've got building Regs Approval. Without that little lot this could be a right PAITA and very costly when you come to sell.

Sorry got called away with work..

Thanks for all your replies and expert advice.

The simple answer to all the questions is i dont know.

1) i was never given an option of brick to the face
2) No structural engineer calcs were done that i saw
3) I don't think they used mesh but the did use re-bar
4) Ratio of mix??? umm never told me
5) I never saw any evidence of dry packing being used

Guess i just keep my fingers crossed and hope its safe now :(

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back