Underpinning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m potentially going to have to do some quite drastic underpinning on my house to satisfy the structural engineer for a development we Doing,I don’t have too many options for alternatives due to having already upset planners with numerous appeals and finally winning one.

looking for advice and tips from anyone that does it regularly, ie any specific spade you’d recommend for a clay soil.
Can I cut a trench in with a machine down to the top of the footings in one go and then dig the pits?

recommended footwear? (I’m not a beginner :D)and have steel toe cap boots, but last test pits were welly territory but that’s just a recipe for injury! Rigger boots?

plan is to dig what I can with a machine but it’s not going to be much due to access and hoping experience here might help with some tips, ps resin isn’t an option,

Sponsored Links
If you're on clay would micropiles work?
Other than that, a good strong spade, whatever work boots you're comfy in and a sump pump to keep water level under control.

Sponsored Links
Underpinning - absolutely horrendous. Always run a mile. Not for all the tea.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back