Understanding my WB Greenstar 25Si ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, today I had a new boiler fitted, so it's goodbye to the old WB 9.24 (well off the wall anyway) and I'd like to try & understand some of it's features.

I paid a little extra and got the DT20 programmer fitted too.

A couple of things I'm still puzzled with.

ECO BUTTON:
Reading the user guide, it appears that normally it will pre heat water to make hot water instantly available. Funny but I always thought that combi boilers did that anyway lol.

Anyway, I dont want to have constantly heated hot water, using gas etc & I'm more than happy to accept the boiler heating the water up when I need it.

I still have to wait till the cold water from the pipes has passed so the little bit thats in the boiler is not problem.

But the button, it appears that for normal use without preheat I have to have the ECO button illuminated.
Q1) Is this so?

Q2) If I have set this to illuminated should it stay on until I turn it off as I was setting the controls & it went off, I hope that I don't have to keep messing with it.

SETTING HOT WATER TIMES:
Q3)Why is it that I can set times for hot water? whats that all about eh?
I thought hot water should always be available when I turn the tap on.

OR is this linked in to the preheat function so that a little hot water is available at specific times.

OR can I set the times that it will fire & provide hot water, & it not provide any hot water outside those times?
(why would I want to do that?)

So far we have had 1 bath & 3 showers amongst us, excellent - the old boiler would not even provide enough for a bath let alone overheating at each shower :D

Sponsored Links
just press it the once, dont have to keep messin with it.
U cant prog the hot water as it is a combi mate, it is a generic prog ie if you wanted to hook it up to a cylinder to make it a system boiler

The idea of the prehat function is to maintain a small store of hot water.. The ECO button illuminated switches this function off..

This function can be switched on and off at times to suit you via the hot water timer..

Sponsored Links
Cheers, as I had no reply I went back down to the RGI's shop & asked him.

Basically what CorgiGrouch has said.

Yes I too think mrmethane is confused lol

Yet I still dont understand why I'd want a little hot water when - being a combi it provides it anyway.

Perhaps its for those on water meters, so instead of paying for the water wasted they pay for the gas :D

Was I supposed to have a room thermostat fitted?
I have TRV's on all radiators.

sOME combis you can do this with but the pretty certain the 25si does not have a heating flow switch to turn boiler off if all trvs close so you should have a roomstat and a rad without trv.

Oh dear...

time to read the MI then get one fitted then.

Which room?
Bathroom (smallest one with a rad)
or perhaps the lounge?

The MI does not say it must/need not have one.
It does however come with a link to be removed when fitting one.

Does anyone else know what should be done here?

If needs be & it improves efficiency etc I can remove a TRV & fit a thermostat.

Cheers,
Matty

yep , sorry did get confused, was tryin to think bout several things at once , cant multitask :oops:

If you read through the instructions it assumes that a room stat will be fitted because the installation does not comply with part L of the building regulations without one. Part of this compliance includes filling in the commissioning check list. This check list does not have an option or no room stat fitted. It also makes reference to the interlock, this is a fancy name for the controls that make sure the boiler does not keep running when the temperature requirements are satisfied in all rooms i.e. some form of room stat.

If your installer hasn't filled in the checklist they should have done, if they have you could ask them where they have hidden the interlock.

The rad without the trv needs to be in the same room as the thermostat, normally the hall or lounge.

Worcester supply a range of RF digistats so it's a simple matter to have one fitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back