unfamiliar light fitting - two-way for two-gang?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to swap a two-gang rocker light switch for a two-gang dimmer switch. The switch that I am replacing operates wall lights and a pendant light and is the only switch for these lights (one-way). The wall lights come on separately from the pendant light - so there is one switch for wall, one for pendant.

When I lifted the original rocker switch off, I expected to find two cables, each with one red and one black wire. However, there is only one cable with one red, one blue, one yellow wire. Also the labelling of the original light fitting was not what I expected. Instead of C, L1, L2 etc. it has following connections: A, A1, A2; B, B1, B2. The switch is wired as follows:

Red wire to A; extension of red wire from A to B
Blue wire to A1
Yellow wire to B1

Although I don't understand how this wiring means that the two lights come on independently, I thought I would try to replicate it as much as possible. So I wired the new fitting as follows:

Red wire to C in first dimmer; extension of red wire to C in second dimmer
Blue wire to L1 in first dimmer box
Yellow wire to L1 in second dimmer box

Needless to say, this does not work. New switch only operates pendant light.

I think I need a special kind of switch. I would still like to replace the original (dirty, stained). Does anybody have any suggestions. I have no idea what this kind of switch is called.

I am a DIY-er and have changed lots of switches. But I am certainly no electrician, so your patience is much appreciated.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
you have wired it correctly. maybe one side of the dimmer is faulty swap over connection if other light workd wiring ok to lights. are you sure the link piece of red is in corrrectly?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back