Uninsulated concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a 30s property with a poorly built lean to on the back. I've blocked up the outside toilet part of it and I'm extending our pokey kitchen out into it.

I have about 1/4 of the floor removed and I'm about to fill it with concrete to get a base to work from. There doesn't appear to be any DPM or insulation of course, but I'm not sure I can afford/stomach replacing the whole thing. It has moved/cracked a little over the years so this is my plan:

On the 1/4 missing floor lay a DPM and fill it with concrete. Then I'm wondering can I put another DPM across the whole floor and use a self levelling screed on top of it? There will be no insulation but I'll have to live with that. I imagine the screed on the DPM will be fragile so probably a rubbish idea?

I want to finish it in an engineered wood, but I'd like to minimise the raising of the floor if possible.

Any tips would be very much appreciated, rubbish photo below for reference.

Thank you

Russ

leantofloor.jpg

Sponsored Links
so probably a rubbish idea?

Correct.

Just put the bit of dpm down and level off with concrete.
Don't bother with the engineered wood finish - it won't last.
If you don't want to do the job properly, learn to live with the concrete - perhaps with a piece of lino?

Oh really, the floor is that bad? So not really useable unless I want to add fair but to the height? Just ripped the 80s lino out,don't want to put more back. It's there a way to tank it properly?

Bugger, wish I'd knocked out down and started again :)

Thanks for your help, I don't really want to screw it up and it last 12 months.

Having slept on it I've decided I'll have to dig the floor out and do it properly. It'll be cheaper to do that than mess around trying to make the best of it and I can get a good dpm and a load of insulation at the same time.

Thanks for the nudge in the right direction :)

Sponsored Links
What if we had slate tiles instead? Would that be ok? The floor doesn't seem damp as such, although I don't have a meter to check it with properly.

Cheers

Just for anyone else searching this forum, I took the advice and bloody glad I did.

It's like a different room with the new floor, I'm about £500 down but sand, polythene, 100mm insulation, concrete, screed, soooooooooooooooooooo much better, drier, warmer. Even had chance to run some cables and pipework under it for my garage :)

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back