Universal Credit

Health tourism not an issue at all then ?

It constitutes less than 1 per cent of the NHS budget at that. As to specific health tourism the estimates are between £100-£300m.

The problems with the NHS are solely with the Government bad policies, be it constant reorganisations, PFI or contracting out.

Sponsored Links
So, kranky, what do you think has caused the shortage of housing? (and please, don't use that age old excuse that all the council houses have been sold off), because these council houses that were sold off are still standing and still lived in.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/blog/2017/oct/21/help-to-buy-property-new-build-price-rise

The government through bad policy has let housebuilders land bank and maintain their house prices through the help tp buy scheme.

https://www.adamsmith.org/news/no-help-to-buy

"Reviving Help to Buy is like throwing petrol onto a bonfire"

The issue is with supply.

BTW the Adam Smith Institute is a highly influentiential neo liberal think tank and if they are criticising the Government policy then you can't call it left leaning.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/blog/2017/oct/21/help-to-buy-property-new-build-price-rise

The government through bad policy has let housebuilders land bank and maintain their house prices through the help tp buy scheme.

https://www.adamsmith.org/news/no-help-to-buy

"Reviving Help to Buy is like throwing petrol onto a bonfire"

The issue is with supply.

BTW the Adam Smith Institute is a highly influentiential neo liberal think tank and if they are criticising the Government policy then you can't call it left leaning.

land banking is a symptom rather than a cause of the housing crisis. The size of land banks doesnt determine the pace of building.

The speculative house building model cant solve the housing shortage. Speculative house building reacts to the wider housing market, it doesnt lead it. So that means we cant rely on the speculative house building model to build our way out of the house price crisis.

Stamp duty reduction is sometimes suggested but that is likely to increase buying and feed into more high pricing.

Some form of building programme is needed to increase house building rate to a much higher level without raising demand leading to higher prices.

I'm struggling to feel sympathy for the majority of benefit claimants who see state handouts as a way of life not a means of assistance while they look for work or are off work for a while.

It's a benefit not a right.
State benefits of are payed for by the taxpayer and I am a taxpayer so that if I become unemployed I can expect some of my tax returned, it isn't a handout

Sponsored Links
I think a lobotomy would improve your intelligence.
Are you medically qualified to give opinion or is that just more ill-informed supposition? On the contrary, I've had some first aid training and can say that you may have already had one.

Obviously in Labotomestan, people who are housed are not taking up housing, people who are given medical aid are not taking up NHS time and money, people who are using council resources are not actually using those resources, and people who are drawing money from the state without having contributed to it are not denying those who have, future use of that money.

By my maths, if five people bake a pie for dinner, but then another ten people turn up and want to be fed, then there is less to go around, and they all wait a bit longer to get their piece, and the table is a bit cramped to boot.

State benefits of are payed for by the taxpayer and I am a taxpayer so that if I become unemployed I can expect some of my tax returned, it isn't a handout
Have you been claiming social since you left school, while living in your free council house while getting your free prescriptions and teeth polishing, and your kids getting their free meals and school trips, whilst you drive them around in your almost free disability car, with no intention to get a job whilst living the high life and pumping out kids whilst the cash registers go kerr-ching?

land banking is a symptom rather than a cause of the housing crisis. The size of land banks doesnt determine the pace of building.

The speculative house building model cant solve the housing shortage. Speculative house building reacts to the wider housing market, it doesnt lead it. So that means we cant rely on the speculative house building model to build our way out of the house price crisis.

Stamp duty reduction is sometimes suggested but that is likely to increase buying and feed into more high pricing.

Some form of building programme is needed to increase house building rate to a much higher level without raising demand leading to higher prices.
The two statements are contradictory
A building programme would include the reduction of land banking.
No-one (I assume) is suggesting that a reduction in land banking alone would resolve the housing crisis, but it is an important contribution to that resolution.

Why does land banking occur?
Britain has enough land to solve the housing crisis – it's just being hoarded
Developers are sitting on land without building anything, then selling it on for profit – a vicious cycle that can make it impossible to create affordable homes. What can be done to stop this speculative feeding frenzy?
... one of the fundamental causes for the current lack of affordable housing, and simultaneous glut of luxury developments, is the iniquity of the land trading industry.
https://www.theguardian.com/cities/...g-crisis-developers-not-building-land-banking

'Programs' are precisely the sort of thing the state is incompetent at. What is needed is less building restriction for individuals and small firms, instead of planning obstructions and subsidies/preferential treatment for the big six. Increase the supply and you reduce the price (not forgetting that small builders tend to make much nicer houses, too!).
Germany, for example, has a 'can build' approach to planning. In most regions it is assumed from the outset that you can build unless some sort of exception can be cited; the exact opposite of Britain.

'Programs' are precisely the sort of thing the state is incompetent at. What is needed is less building restriction for individuals and small firms, instead of planning obstructions and subsidies/preferential treatment for the big six. Increase the supply and you reduce the price (not forgetting that small builders tend to make much nicer houses, too!).
Germany, for example, has a 'can build' approach to planning. In most regions it is assumed from the outset that you can build unless some sort of exception can be cited; the exact opposite of Britain.

We need less land banking and we need a government program to build more social homes. Small house builders cannot compete with the Big 6 who simply buy up land and then sit on it.

Small house builders cannot compete with the Big 6 who simply buy up land and then sit on it.
But that's precisely the point. They cannot compete because the big six get preferential treatment. It's the state that sells large packages of land to the big six at below market value, and the big six have the financial and political might to press for planning permission that individuals cannot hope to get. This would not be the case if large swathes weren't green belt and people could sell their own parcels of land with assumpiton of 'can build' to the highest bidder, and the highest bidder is more likely to be an independent builder or self-builder who has lower overheads and can therefore spend more of his budget on land. (You could also put a time limit on planning permissions, of course, to discourage land banking. Individuals can move faster and have greater vested interest in their land than corporations). The blossoming of superior independent and self-build houses would put further competitive pressure on the big six to produce better quality homes, at more expense to themselves, thereby driving up standards or forcing them to downsize or go bust (could Barratts continue to produce shoeboxes in the face of a Victorian-style explosion of beautiful, quality houses from small builders? I suspect not!).

Last edited:
I suspect that Churchill would disagree with you:
Winston Churchill.

I think that if you cannot debate a topic like an adult (I assume you are an adult) without having to resort to insults, you should refrain from taking part in the first place. It speaks volumes about a person who cannot do this.
I think it is grossly unfair to single out one poster when the forum is awash with 'more experienced' posters throwing insults whenever they run out of valid argument.

I did indeed quote 1 person, as an example.

But what I wrote was aimed at everyone.

I think the fundamental flaw in these arguments is that the Government actually cares about, and wants to find a solution beneficial to, the people.

I think they are quite happy with the present situation of ridiculously high house prices and rents and want to keep it that way.

Sponsored Links
Back