Unnecessary fear of Legionella in closed HW systems?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was chatting with a plumber recently about my plans to install solar at home. Maybe he thought I was a bit cocky but he came out with a dire warning that Legionella is going to be the next big obsession in the plumbing world.

Now I'm no biologist but I know a bit about bacterial growth in aqueous media from my job. My understanding is that all the infamous outbreaks of Legionella have been in ill-maintained, open, air conditioning systems where airborn bacteria have found the ideal conditons they need for reproduction and have settled to start a family.

A domestic HW system is closed and assuming no bacterial contamination prior to filling, it receives water from the mains, which may not be sterile but is treated to a high standard so that even if that water sat for many days at the ideal 35 degrees in the cylinder it's doubtful that bacteria would grow. In normal use fresh, treated water is entering the cylinder all the time. Most Mediterranean homes use solar and I doubt if their incoming water is treated to the high standard we enjoy in the UK, yet we have never heard of anybody there catching Legionella from their shower - the media would have a field day.

So who or what is driving this new paranoia amongst plumbers? Should I be concerned? The system I plan to install (Vridian Solar) has a dry panel, which drains down in extreme heat or cold so could be deactivated if we went away on holiday.

Sponsored Links
So who or what is driving this new paranoia amongst plumbers? Should I be concerned? The system I plan to install (Vridian Solar) has a dry panel, which drains down in extreme heat or cold so could be deactivated if we went away on holiday.

You have not disclosed on what basis you were "chatting" and what experience and qualifications he has.

All I can say is that he seems to be one of these people with a large mouth and an empty head!

All I can say is that if there were any serious concerns then I would be aware of them particularly as I have a certificate in solar energy!

I am aware of the problems of legionella and in the well known case of the BBC outbreak my boss at the time caught the infection and whilst he recovered he was unable to drink much beer for a couple of years! Being younger and stronger it did not affect me or anyone else in our office.

Your choice of a drainback system is in my view a good choice although few of the providers offer them. I wonder if this is because they are cheaper and give them less profit? Being simpler they are much more reliable and do not have high annual maintenance costs.

Tony Glazier

Legionella can and will breed at temperatures below 50c, it is common in the industrial sector to have a purge cycle for heat pumps and solar that take the water temperature up to 65c once a month.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back