Unplugging appliances while on holiday

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Going away shortly for three weeks, and would like to know if it's ok to leave my TV plugged in, but switched off, not on standby. I have to leave my cable box on for planned recordings and my fridge obviously, but all other appliances such as readng lamps will bu unplugged. The water and gas will be switched off. Freezing pipes shouldn't be a problem as we are a mid terrace house and all the pipes in the loft are properly lagged. Thank you :)

Sponsored Links
Going away shortly for three weeks, and would like to know if it's ok to leave my TV plugged in, but switched off, not on standby.
If it really is 'switched off', the risk is incredibly small - but given that you seem to plan to unplug virtually everything else, why not also the TV - is there an access problem?
The water and gas will be switched off. Freezing pipes shouldn't be a problem as we are a mid terrace house and all the pipes in the loft are properly lagged.
Particularly with no water flowing, lagging will not prevent pipes freezing (if the ambient temperature gets low enough) - it will merely increase the time taken for them to freeze. However, you'd probably be pretty unlucky if the temperature remained low enough for long enough for the pipes to freeze during a 3-week absence.

Kind Regards, John

Going away shortly for three weeks, and would like to know if it's ok to leave my TV plugged in, but switched off, not on standby.
If it really is 'switched off', the risk is incredibly small - but given that you seem to plan to unplug virtually everything else, why not also the TV - is there an access problem?
The water and gas will be switched off. Freezing pipes shouldn't be a problem as we are a mid terrace house and all the pipes in the loft are properly lagged.
Particularly with no water flowing, lagging will not prevent pipes freezing (if the ambient temperature gets low enough) - it will merely increase the time taken for them to freeze. However, you'd probably be pretty unlucky if the temperature remained low enough for long enough for the pipes to freeze during a 3-week absence.

Kind Regards, John

Because of the recordings?

I'm a bit confused. If it's really totally switched off, that's to-all-intents-and-purposes electrically the same as 'unplugged', so it's not going to help with your recordings. I thought the implication of what you wrote is that you need only the cable box (and, obviously, the recorder, if separate) operating in order to make the recordings. Is that not the case?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I'm a bit confused. If it's really totally switched off, that's to-all-intents-and-purposes electrically the same as 'unplugged', so it's not going to help with your recordings. I thought the implication of what you wrote is that you need only the cable box (and, obviously, the recorder, if separate) operating in order to make the recordings. Is that not the case?

Kind Regards, John

Sorry, I thought that the tv needed to plugged in the mains to records from the box. I see for your reply, it doesn't need to be. Sorry :oops:

Sorry, I thought that the tv needed to plugged in the mains to records from the box. I see for your reply, it doesn't need to be. Sorry :oops:
It's hard to be sure from what you've told us - but if the TV had to be plugged in, it would also need to be switched on, at least to 'standby' status. What is doing the recording - is there a separate recorder, one in the cable box or what?

Kind Regards, John

It's hard to be sure from what you've told us - but if the TV had to be plugged in, it would also need to be switched on, at least to 'standby' status. What is doing the recording - is there a separate recorder, one in the cable box or what?

Kind Regards, John

It's a Virgin V+ Box which records onto a hard drive, but I've just tried to record with the TV switched off and it works, so the Tv doesn't have to be plugged in at all. Thanks for your help :)

It's a Virgin V+ Box which records onto a hard drive, but I've just tried to record with the TV switched off and it works, so the Tv doesn't have to be plugged in at all. Thanks for your help :)
That's what I would have expected - so you might as well unplug the TV as well as everything else. Glad it's sorted!

Kind Regards, John

Ironically the biggest fire risk these days seems to be the fridge freezer. Check on the manufactures website that there has not been a recall for this.

As said the recorder box (PVR) works completely separately from the TV so will work fine if it is on standby but the TV is plugged out.

Don't be surprised if your router starts to play up if it is unplugged for three weeks, I am an IT support technician and often get called out after people have been away for a few weeks as they find their internet no longer works but if it is a fairly new router it shouldn't be a problem.

Ironically the biggest fire risk these days seems to be the fridge freezer.
I may be wrong, but I think there may be some confusion about this. There is a fairly recent report knocking around (from a Fire Brigade IIRC) indicating that fires involving fridges and freezers are becoming a particular problem. However, I think this is primarily because of the consequences of burning of the insulation of these appliances and does not necessarily imply that the fires originate in the fridge/freezers.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back