Unregistered sparks - what would you do?

CEC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Several electricians have placed adverts in my local shop window. All are advertising for domestic work yet only one is registered on the Competent Person website*. The general public will have no idea about certification, Part P and the like so will happilly use these sparks. Obviously this is creating extra competition for me at a very tough time. They may be superb at what they do but I'm forking out hundreds of pounds a year to stay within the law while they aren't.

This is giving me a moral dilema.
a) Do I grass them up to some authority to protect my business?
b) Should I take it on the chin and accept the lost business?
c) Something else?

I'd hate to do a) but work is scarce and unlawful competition is not helping.

* Of course, they could all be certifying via LABC but I somehow doubt it

Sponsored Links
Put your own card in the window lol

with your qualifications so there's looks like it is missing something

how dare you assume that an unregistered sparky is breaking the law doing domestic work..

for all you know they are paying the LABC fees and testing themselves as the local LABC have decided that they will accept certificates from them..
my LABC have it on their website that they charge £40 for notification and £110 for testing if it's needed, and that they will accept certificates from electricians who can prove they are qualified..

then there's also the point that not all work is Part-P notifiable.. so there is no need to notify or be a member of a scheme to add a few sockets to a ring in the lounge etc...

Best just be as professional as you can, and display the necessary bodies on your own advertising. Then put it next to theirs.. anyone who uses the others will likely see your information and so be aware of you should they need to seek a second opinion, or come across a snag on the job.

My work solely comes from word of mouth, however it is often troubleshooting an already part installed installation that has grown to a standstill.

It has now become part of the job to have to explain to all potential clients about self certification schemes, and the need for 'good practice'. Often this will result in your estimate being above the 'other electrician' but don't adjust and you will build up a reputable reliable customer base.

Sponsored Links
Yes, I agree. You can only grass them up if you have evidence that they have done notifiable work and they haven't complied with the legislation.

You'd have to work hard to do that.

Some people would avoid an electrician that has a professional symbol on his advert because they are afraid that they will be charged more. They are not to know that it will cost more (possibly) in the long run to use an unregistered spark.

But there are probably an equal number who will only go for registered sparks - possibly not from a shop window though.

I've tried advertising, but nothing beats word-of-mouth and repeat business.

Make sure that when quoting for a job, you mention your qualifications and the advantages of using registered electricians - and the pitfalls of using electricians who are NOT approved installers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back