UNSAFE BOILER....!!!!

an at risk situation only requires the engineer to turn off the appliance not isolate it from the gas. he should have told your mother in law that the appliance if used could be dangerous but it is up to her if she wanted to use it. it was obviously passing flue flow and spillage tests.

Sponsored Links
it was obviously passing flue flow and spillage tests.

wish i had a pound for every 20 yr old bbu ive seen with no ventilation at all that passed every test

but the rules say "thou shalt have"

had a job condemed by gloworm once cos the vent was 1 1/2 sq cm undersize :LOL:

chrishutt said:
ollski said:
It was not one incident which caused the regs to be tightened
But the regulations haven't been changed! Only an error in the guidance booklet corrected. He could also reasonably blame BG for failing to identify the deficiency in the ventilation over all the years that they have been servicing it.

I would be inclined to agree with you chris which is why I said tightened rather than changed, although I'm pretty sure that the percentages now that differentiate between ncs and ar are new. Has anyone failed to identify the ventilation deficiency over the years??. Also it is likely the customer did give permission to turn off...no-one has said.
Technically to turn off an at risk it should not be turned off at a user control.

Technically to turn off an at risk it should not be turned off at a user control.
Ooo, not seen that. So what would you do with a freestanding cooker?

Sponsored Links
Yes guy's. You're quite right. It hasn't been isolated, just turned off at the user controls and a sticker saying at risk.
But when you're in your 70's and a bit vulnerable, that's as good as turning off the supply.
I feel sure that when the boiler was first installed, it met all the current regulations of the time, and was a proper and professional job. As usual, it's the regulations, or perhaps, the interpretation of the regulations that have changed.

Look at the Austin Mini/ Leyland Mini/ Rover Mini, what ever banner it was made under, as an example. That very successful little car went out of production, purely because it couldn't comply with the latest regulations. I believe it was "drive by noise" and "crumple zones" that killed it. In other words, some red tape fascist decided that if you crashed it, you may hurt yourself........................ No s**t sherlock! and it had to go.

My kids can't play conkers in the school playground anymore, or use swings without special rubber matting, or climb trees etc etc the list is endless. I put my M-in-L's experience in the same group. labelled: "Paranoia"

Again, thanks for the interesting and worthwhile replies.
Flash.

No it's not like your old mini...
When your boiler was installed, the manufacturer's installation instructions gave a size of ventilation that your boiler required. That amount of ventilation (measured in cm2) has not changed. It was probably never correct. Or perhaps changes (decorating/new kitchen) within the house have closed ventilation
Its just that the Unsafe Situations regarding ventilation have been tightened.

byu said:
the Unsafe Situations regarding ventilation have been tightened
Not tightened, but an error in previous editions of the guidance has been corrected - see my post above.

law should state that one should not leave any person in a dangerous or vulnerabal state. therefore , if leaving someone frail without their regular heat source, we should as i do supply a temporary heat source. i:e an electric fire.

Surely the sensible thing is to balance the risk associated with the inadequate ventilation with the risks of having the heating turned off, especially for an elderly person. I think what was done was stupid and irresponsible.

had a case few years back where BG turned a 90 year olds heating off due to vent not up to standards.This happened at 4 pm on xmas eve. She wouldnt use the fire until vent was done because BG had scared the hell out of her.Therefore 7pm xmas eve i upgraded vent. BG would have left her for about 3 to 4 days at least.(BASTARDS)

only problem with leaving temp heat source for clients it that the government (grrr) state that any electric appliance must be PAT tested after every use now, and makes the cost to us to provide this service prohibitive

Just to add my experience of BG. Some years back in my previous house, we had a floor standing boiler with the flue pipe connected to a pre-cast flue in the wall of the house. This had been working properly since the house was built. The BG 'engineer' turned up to service the appliance when my wife was in, and promptly slapped an 'unsafe appliance' sticker on the boiler on the basis that the flue was piped into the wall cavity!! Did he really think that the boiler had been working like this for years??
Needless to say, some fairly strong words were exchanged, resulting in said 'engineer' being sent back to remove the sticker and perform the service as contracted to do.

There's all sorts of engineers out there. Last week I at risked a warm air unit due to ventilation and said I'd run back today with a quote...in the mean time she had another quote and was less than happy when I arrived for lying to her. An engineer had a look yesterday and told her she had high and low compartment vents and a vent to outside so it was ok. I had to jump through hoops to demonstrate her lower vent was 60 % undersized and the outside vent was not relevant due to it being vented through the return air. There is still much confusion out there, but basically we have to comply to the law.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back