Unsatisfactory gloss finish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have never had much luck gloss painting plain, flat, internal doors:brush marks, runs, ‘flat’ patches (that is where I see a small patch that looks duller than the rest). A painter & decorator I was talking to suggested I use a 4”roller, so bought a Harrison roller for gloss paint.

I applied 2coats of undercoat (Leyland trade) and sanded down between coats - the finish looked superb, if I do say so myself! I then used Leyland high gloss using the roller in all directions as evenly as I could. The room temperature was 16-18C at all times. Again a light sanding then final coat.

I am highly disappointed- if I were describing a car spray paint finish, I would say ‘orange peel’,but in this case it’s a finer ‘mottling’ than orange peel. I’ve tried taking a photo but can’t quite capture the finish.
The good part is that it’s even and no brush marks, but it’s just not smooth and shiny!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Any roller will leave a texture, some painters will suggest roller and quickly lay off with a brush to avoid this, but you have to be fast and skilled to make it work particularly with today's horrid Eco paints!:(

Thanks for that, presumably then, the problem is that the paint dries too quickly, Is there such a thing as a non-horrid non-eco gloss paint? Or perhaps something that holds back the drying process?

The design of rollers tends to leave that finish, I don't worry overmuch plain doors look OK with a light texture, but on paneled doors I stick to a brush.
There is a wonder product you can try! I have used the oil based version in the past but not the water based one link here.
https://www.owatroldirect.co.uk/product/floetrol/

Sponsored Links
You need to extend the "working" time of the paint
If oil based, add Owatrol.

If waterbased, add Floetrol.

Each product allows the paint type to "flow" and enables you to "lay" it off and move it around before it starts to set.

Neither is cheap but if you want to get a decent finish you should consider using them.

Personally I don't like using rollers for woodwork, I prefer Anza paint pads but they are (unnecessarily)difficult to get hold of. If I didn't have them I would use rollers and a brush to introduce nice and uniform tramlines.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back