Unscrew Mixer Tap Neck Screw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm trying to get the bolt at the bottom of the neck of my mixer tap undone to see why it's leaking, but I can't get this to budge at all. I've tried using a wrench with some material round the tap, but have only succeded in slightly damaging the tap.

I'm guessing it's just limescale over the years that has caused this to cease up, so I was wondering if people had suggestions of any loosening fluids, or the best tool to get this undone without damaging the bolt.

Thanks,
Larry.

CIMG7506.JPG

Sponsored Links
Quite often, if you turn a mixer spout to just the right (odd) angle it would just lift out, with a bit of persuasion. Not sure if this is the case for your tap though.

I am not a pro, just an experienced DIYer.

Indeed it looks like it does unscrew then. Looks like a left hand thread in the picture for some strange reason.

You could try soaking it with Kilrock gel to try and loosen the limescale. Then some penetrating oil to try and make it moveable.

Sponsored Links
It does look like a left-hand thread but then so does the fixing rod.

I doubt this is the case.
I suspect the illustrator has never done the work.

WD40 might do the job but proper penetrating oil will do it much better.

Yes, same principle as the wrenches used for oil filters on cars. They're the only thing to use when you have to grip and turn something that doesn't have flats on it. Especially something that you don't want to damage (much).

I think you might find it is a simple clip holding the spout in.

It is quite big and chrome finish. Shaped like a U, the bottom of the U is facing you in the picture immediately next to the main tap body as a narrow chrome band.

You have to drift it out from the back and you should find that instead of the chrome band you see at the front you will see the two chromed ends of the clip (top of the U) that you need to tap into the body for it to pop out at the front. But if the ends are concealed, then look for the vertical joints in the band at the front, there should be one each side. You would then need a wedge like an small screwdriver into the joint to force the clip forward working each joint a bit at a time

If it is fitted like that then of course once the clip is out the spout just lifts out

Try a Boa strap wrench.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p98...=26799651863&gclid=CKa3t_L79rsCFRLMtAodMDkAJg

Make sure that the surface of chrome collar is clean and free from soap scum or lubricants, or the Boa will slip. Looks like you will need new rubber o rings to stop leak.

Bought those, but I just could not get them to grip without slipping, so ended up taking a bit of a hammer to it and managed to get the collar loose.

Next question is, should the swan neck come all the way out the tap?

Cheers.

Next question is, should the swan neck come all the way out the tap?

Yes, pull upwards. Should come out without too many problems.

Next thing is to replace the two rubber O rings on the bottom of the spout. If you know the manufacturer, may be easier to get the right sized rings from them, rather than hunting for them.

Don't forget a smear of silicone grease on the O rings before finally pushing spout back into tap. Don't use Vaseline/petroleum jelly.

Exact O rings ordered!!

What are the chances of a large Wilkos having Silicon Grease? Just that I work next to one rather than having to drive out to Wickes.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back