Unsupported roof slates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am a new member, so if this has been asked before I apologise now.

I have extended an old garage (1930) and need to extend the slate roof but have run into a problem. The original slates are 20” x 10” but do not lap on to the upper batten but were pointed underneath with a sand and lime mortar which eventually dropped off and in order to preserve the roof it was sealed with foam some years ago.

I have managed to get enough matching slates (colour and size) and using 38 x 19 battens at the same spacing as the original, like the old roof, the slates are not supported by the upper batten and likely to flap in a strong wind. If I use a second batten it means that the new roof will be 3 slates thick while the old is 2 slates thick, which is a problem where the two meet.

My possible solution to this is using a thinner batten (15mm) below the fixing battens to support the top of the slate.

If all that makes sense is it a reasonable solution or are there better recognised methods? This problem must have occurred before and must have been solved before.

Regards Juan

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back