Unsure of earthing type

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ho Ho Ho, ahem, I mean Hi Hi Hi.....

I was at a empty property on Friday and was (for the first time ever) stumped by what the supply types earth was. It consisted of three cloth covered singles ran from underground to the DB in steel(?) conduit. The three cores were L, N &E. The earth was connected to the MET but upon testing found the earth was non existent; reading was >2.99k ohms, even when the bonding was reconnected, though the water was part plastic pipes... I am going to test my TT install at home in the morning to make sure my MFT is not jiggered, before I contact the REC.

It is fairly obviously not TNCS. Given the way the supply enters the property is there likely to be a connection to a sheath underground? If the supply is TNS then I take it that the REC have a duty to maintain the earth. Will the REC know what the supply type is meant to be?

Sorry if this is slightly incoherent, bit late at night to be writing!!

Sorry no pics taken.

Regards, Neil

Sponsored Links
Were the conduits linked?

I guess there is an earth conductor attached to these conduits?

Sounds like it could be subterranean TT, but I have only ever seen conduit fed cloth-covered singles where the DNO have piggy-backed off next door's supply.

Could it be possible that the conduits, although going down, nip next door?

Does sound like TT though, and I have seen this before where TT singles have been fed through metallic conduit.... :eek:

I'm off to bed now... ;)

If you contact the DNO, they should have information on the earthing arrangement.
Does sound like it could be TT though I had something similar, where the connection was beneath a garage.

Thanks for replies. Checked tester and thankfully that is fine. Though my TT Ze has crept up a little more than I would like, which does not bode well for a dry summer.Never got round to ringing DNO today but will have time tomorrow to do so.

May well be piggy-backed from next door as it is an upstairs flat and the supply is at the bottom of the stairs adjoining the downstairs flats door. I can get access to the other property so will have a gander in there.

Conduit was not earthed by either the EC or by the Earth itself. It seems to be there wholly for mechanical protection. Though not 100% on that.

My head got stuck on the idea of it being TNS due to all conductors being cloth covered. Never really entertained the idea of it being TT for some strange reason.

Thanks for your twopenneth.

Sponsored Links
i came across a similar cloth cable installation. It was a TT. What did cut out look like? and is it a farm or out in the country? the other thing to look for is overhead cables.

Ive seen this before in a maisonette, there was a standard cut out in a cupboard downstairs, with a steel conduit buried in the wall vertically feeding a metal cupboard (mantel) with a BS1361 fuse and carrier, meter and CU in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back