Unsure what to do about my Inline Extractor Fan?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

So I installed a Manrose MF100T Inline Extractor Fan (bought from Amazon) in our main bathroom last year but it's never really done much to help with the condensation literally running down the walls. I've tried playing around with the ducting (swapping from flexi to rigid, 45° bends instead of 90°), moving the inlet vent further into the shower enclosure (previously in the back corner) and putting it on it's highest speed.

I tend to keep to a sub-10 minute shower but my girlfriend likes to have 30 minute volcanic sauna showers which turns the bathroom into a "gorillas in the mist" type situation, with condensation running down the walls and the ceiling looking like bubblewrap there's that much drippage. Now some important observations:

- The Fan has always sounded loud, mechanically sounds OK just loud, unsure whether that's just rigid ducting.
- Barely any steam seems to get sucked into the inlet vent, you can't see it being pulled in, imstead it just floats around the ceiling, spilling into the main part of the bathroom where there's no other ventilation.
- I've been out to the external vent and that seems okay, there's air being forced out of it but not quite as much as I expected given the noise.
- Ducting seems OK, water has leaked out of the casing of the fan though which you can see in the photos, but none out of the ducting (normally has rockwool insulation covering it but removed for photos).
- The bathroom door has a 16mm gap under the bottom which I thought adequate for 100mm ducting.
-The bathroom itself has 2 Heat Loss solid brick walls facing the North and East, has no wall insulation but 300mm loft insul above, and is in a 1930s semi detached house.

Now you can see from my plans I've proposed a new ducting layout (a 90° bend out the inlet vent, then 2x 45° bends with the fan going straighter towards the external vent). Before I start chopping and changing I wanted to get some answers to some questions:

1a. Would the proposed layout make a difference?
1b. Does 2x 45° bends make a difference compared to a tight 90° bend?
2. Would swapping the ducting to insulated flexi ducting be better than insulating non-insulated rigid ducting?
3. If the fan is working and air is being moved within the ducting, why does it feel like there's barely any air being sucked into the ducting?
4. Would having a second inlet vent between the 2 spotlights in the main bathroom area, connected with a T junction in the ducting, improve things or would it draw away too much air flow?
5. Would a 5" or 6" fan be worth the cost of swapping too or is the size of ducting not the issue?
6. Is this just something we're going to have to live with being a North and East externally facing bathroom?

Sorry if this is a lot but I keep trying different things and nothing seems to work, so I'm hoping someone here might see or know something I'm missing. Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• 20231104_103428.jpg
    20231104_103428.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 20231104_113728.jpg
    20231104_113728.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 20231102_105429.jpg
    20231102_105429.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 20231102_105440.jpg
    20231102_105440.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 20231102_105512.jpg
    20231102_105512.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 46
Sponsored Links
Put some toilet paper over the vent, it should be firmly held by the suction, if not the fan/ducting needs to be checked, the back draft shutter might be impeding flow otherwise the set up looks fine. When all is sorted leave fan on until steam etc has been removed and set timer accordingly.

Blup

General muck and gunge can build up in rigid duct.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back