Untreated panel in decking?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all - I recently had new decking fitted; overall, pleased with it but there's one panel that looks very notably different to the others. It is whiteish, and lacks the coppery green tint that the others have and which I believe comes from being tanalised. I realise that the panels will all naturally differ a bit in colour, as always with timbers, but this does look like there is something wrong - e.g. maybe this one wasn't treated/tanalised properly? Would welcome any insights people have - the colour differential is more pronounced in real life than it comes across in the photos. Many thanks. (Should be clear in photos which is the panel in question - about half way down one photo, and on the far left of the other).

Attachments

• IMG_1460.jpg
    IMG_1460.jpg
    507.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1461.jpg
    IMG_1461.jpg
    500.1 KB · Views: 42
Sponsored Links
It's definitely had some treatment, it's more stained on the left. It's probably just from a different part of the tree or a different tree so was less absorbent.

It doesn't really matter, it will all be black and manky in a year, and rotten in ten years anyway.
Thank you! If it won't stand out like that in a year, then it'll be fine. Is there anything in the meantime you'd recommend that might mask the effect a bit? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Rubbish, I've had decking well over a decade old, still absolutely fine.
Any wood product used in building (outdoors) requires love. Lots of it.
Favoured by 'landscape gardeners' because it's low skill, pi$$ easy to install and lasts long enough till the cheque clears. Wood products in contact with ground rot like an old pear. When I see retaining walls and box-planters built with railway sleepers, I despair. Wooden decking = lethal. Wooden fence posts - laughable.

Our deck is 19 years old and still going strong. It depends on how you look after it, and yes no contact with the ground if it's softwood.

Anything you do to it will make it more visible when the rest gets sun-bleached.

You could overcoat the whole lot with something, probably a good idea anyway to get something on it while it's new.

Any wood product used in building (outdoors) requires love. Lots of it.
Favoured by 'landscape gardeners' because it's low skill, pi$$ easy to install and lasts long enough till the cheque clears. Wood products in contact with ground rot like an old pear. When I see retaining walls and box-planters built with railway sleepers, I despair. Wooden decking = lethal. Wooden fence posts - laughable.

It's not the ideal solution I know, but when the budget is limited and the existing decking had been a serious hazard, then needs must. The key thing for me at the moment is - am I best to leave this odd-looking panel, or should I do something about it (e.g. apply any kind of stain, or look to remove it and replace it)? Thoughts very welcome.

Anything you do to it will make it more visible when the rest gets sun-bleached.

You could overcoat the whole lot with something, probably a good idea anyway to get something on it while it's new.
Do you think possible to rip up the odd-looking panel and replace with another? It's only been a couple of weeks since all fitted.

Never use any products that sit on the surface. Use a penetrating oil, or similar protection.

Timber is not uniform like some factory produced product. Even if you treat it, it won't tone down to be perfectly like the adjacent boards.

I can see at least four differently shaded boards in that one photo.

Never use any products that sit on the surface. Use a penetrating oil, or similar protection.

Timber is not uniform like some factory produced product. Even if you treat it, it won't tone down to be perfectly like the adjacent boards.

I can see at least four differently shaded boards in that one photo.
Yes there's a lot of minor variation, as is natural, but one that really looks *very* different! It doesn't need to look perfect, just something that takes the edge of how that one looks would be good - as I imagine entirely replacing the plank would be quite pricey. Might be the best option though?

Is the risk of using a penetrating oil just for one plank that it might end up looking just as odd, but just in a different way?

Thanks for your help, v. much appreciated indeed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back