Unused cores in alarm cable...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

I've researched the importance of properly terminating \ earthing any unused cores in multicore 230v (in case other end becomes live, induced voltages etc)

But...

Is it is necessary when using multi-core alarm cable for low voltage (24v)?

I need to connect up a couple of photo-cell sensor pairs and not all of the cores will be used (in 8 core alarm cable). Can these just be clipped back, or should they too be terminated in choc blocs etc.?

Any thoughts much appreciated...

Thanks PhilipS

Sponsored Links
I'd just clip them back. You're unlikely to see any induced voltage from the other cores carrying DC, and you shouldn't be running the cable parallel to mains AC wiring for any significant distance.

Thanks! good advice on the mains routing - won't be anywhere near.

But..checked the system spec and its 24v AC ~ would that make any difference to induced voltage risk??

Clipping the cores back would be much the easiest as there is not much space in the photocell units for choc blocks etc (and there is no earth to ground the used cores in any event...)

cheers
PhilipS

IMO it's still not really a problem. At the voltages and currents involved, there isn't going to be any risk of shock in the unlikely event that a small voltage does appear on the unused cores. I probably wouldn't cut the spare cores right back, though, as they may come in useful for future additions.

Even with mains wiring, it's unusual to see unused cores grounded - although they should be, more often that not they are simply isolated in terminal blocks at either end.

Sponsored Links
Thanks - seems like sound advice, good enough for me!
PhilipS

You could connect the unused cores to -neg, but BT don't terminate unused cores/pairs and never have done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back