Unusual arrangement of wires in light switch box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Could anyone help me figure out what is going on in this switch? Should there not be a green and yellow earth wire as well as the red and black ones? And why is the blue wire disconnected (looks like it has been cut)? The switch has L1, L2 and L3 terminals. The red wire is going to L1 and the black wire to L2.

Regards

Gareth

IMG_6337.JPG

Sponsored Links
Should there not be a green and yellow earth wire as well as the red and black ones?
Green sleeving was used to identify the earth wire back in the 1970's & 80's. Green and yellow sleeving came later.

why is the blue wire disconnected (looks like it has been cut)?
If you are referring to the green (earth) wire, it has probably broken off from the metal back box which should have an earth connection.

the switch has L1, L2 and L3 terminals. The red wire is going to L1 and the black wire to L2.
It's a two way switch being used as a one way switch, which is perfectly normal. It probably says on the back of it something like 'for one way switching use terminals L1 and L2'.

Sponsored Links
Is the 1970 earth sleeve was green.

Sleeve is Sleeve. It insulates.

Do I need to respectively remove all green sleeve and replace with green/yellow from my house? NO!

Only that?

Just wondering why, if yes, only that, one should implement that colour code change but not the other.

Not sure, must have read it somewhere, something to do with safety. Black used to be used for earth too, guess that should also be changed to g/y.

By the way, I have just swapped my unsafe tanning lamp for this safe one that has no exposed live parts.
lamp2.jpg

Thanks everyone, it looked blue to me for some reason...

So all I need to do is reattach it to the earth connection?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back