Unusual Lock shield Valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am taking the radiator off to paint behind it. I went to turn off the lockshild valve but it's a type I haven't seen before and I'm not sure how to do it. I've attached pictures. The cover screws off an beneath is a little metal pin that comes out. I've tried putting an allen key in the hole to turn it but that's not working. Can anyone advise what I need to do to turn the valve off?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20240427_150444.jpg
    IMG_20240427_150444.jpg
    346 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20240427_150115.jpg
    IMG_20240427_150115.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20240427_150124.jpg
    IMG_20240427_150124.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 64
Sponsored Links
That's a thermostatic rad valve minus head
The cap you have is intended for what you want to do!
I would first make sure the pin moves up and down then screw down cap tight .
Remove rad with some caution valves sometimes don't hold.

That's not a lock shield I think it is a thermostatic one with the head removed and the blanking cap fitted, if fully screwed down it should depress the pin and close the valve. Possibly someone just put the cap on loosely to allow the valve to pass water, a bit odd!

The cap looks a bit distended and possibly cracked by the pin resisting as though jammed and the cap was turned down too tight.
Put the pin back, it's supposed to move down against a fairly strong spring and come up by iitself. The ones that don't are usually stuck down = SHUT.
Balance a 5p piece on it (blutak) and screw the cap back on and down until it stops, no need to god madly tight. When you have the rad off, try carefully undoing the cap slightly, with a rag over it. It should start to dribble if it's not stuck.

Sponsored Links
Opening the bleed valve will tell you if there is still pressure in the radiator.

If not, it will quickly stop squirting.

pic 3 the pin has stuck down and will stop rad heating

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back