Unvented Cylinder - Megaflow or Santon Premier Plus?

Judging by the difference between 3 and 4 bar pumps demonstrated in a local bathroom shop, I'd say it's enough to notice, but only if you switch between them to compare.
Unless your mains is 4bar+ you wouldn't get it anyway, and all the pipework has to be large too.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick reply. The main sits at around 8 bar and i've got a 50mm connection to the house. Do you mean the internal copper pipes in the house need to be of a sufficient size? I also thought the Oso might be good because it also operates at 3.5 bar but you have the ability to vary this which you can't with Megaflo or Santon

8 bar and i've got a 50mm connection
Corblimeyguvnor. Why 50mm!?
In that case I'd have an Oso with the highest pressure reducing valve they'll allow, which I think is 5 bar. Better go for a biggie because you'll be able to empty it quickly!
Unless you're worried about flow noise (due to speed of water in pipes) I wouldn't worry much about what size they are.

If you see my only previous post you will see why I ended up with 50mm. The house is large (3 baths, 5 showers) and the plumber wanted to introduce break tank and pump. He would only be happy not doing this if we had larger than 32mm connection - the next one up is 50mm

Sponsored Links
OK I've dug out your previous threads. Pressure then was 4-5 bar...
Depends how many cylinders you're supplying and what flow you want over your multiple outlets.
If you internal pipes are 15mm I'd replace them with 28 (mostly because the valves are the most restricting parts, up to the cylinder(s).,
If they're all 22 I'd do the sums but probably leave it.

Eg 1 litre per second will mean a drop of 0.5 metre per metre run in 22mm pipe. So 20 metres effective length would be 1 bar drop. Approx : Divide that by 3 for 28 and multiply by 6 for 15.

'Course, if you used a big heat bank you could have your shower at 8 bar... :LOL: :LOL:

We avoid Baxi products and the Megaflo and Santon are basically coming from the same place.

The OSO, Ariston and Vaillant are better products and the sealed exp vessel is a much better technical solution. Don't believe the BAxi hype, its just marketing. Ask them how many Megaflos they sell outside the UK!

ChrisR, Thanks for your advice. I think the primary pipes are 28 but the pipe in the bathroom to shower is 15. Do you think this should be 22?
Thanks

WHy would you say those are better, Simon? (Ariston aren't still using that awful electical anti corrosion device are they?)
The flow resistance through the Megaflo valve set used to be bad , I was told at an exhibition it's better now but it looks much the same.

P-n - at the pressure you have you'd need a lot of 15mm going to a single outlet, to notice its resistance.
At 20l/min, 15mm, 0.3 metres head loss per metre run;
at 40l/min it's 1m loss per 1m run. If you supply more than one outlet at the same time through one small long pipe you might notice one outlet affecting the other. If they individually go back to 28 you wouldn't be likely to.

ChrisR said:
WHy would you say those are better, Simon? (Ariston aren't still using that awful electical anti corrosion device are they?)
The flow resistance through the Megaflo valve set used to be bad , I was told at an exhibition it's better now but it looks much the same.
ChrisR said:
Well, we have had poor experiences with Megaflo. Leaking immersion heaters due to poor welding, and rattling combi valves. The bubble top only lasts a year if the unit gets through a fair bit of water. And until the factory was refitted, the quality of output was very variable. The floating baffle patent doesn't seem to do anything at all. The claimed 50+ litres through the valve is a nice gimmick, never to be seen by a domestic customer on Thames Water.

We like the Ariston because it comes from what is billed as Europe's most modern unvented plant in Belgium, has class leading insulation and is s/steel. The old glass lined units are still made and perform better in certain environments but we always use the s/steel Primo in the South east, where we are based. It is also part of the DualStream integrated package so we can give a customer an upgrade to a factory spec DualStream at a future point if they so decide - which makes 50l/m a distinct possibility.

The OSO is a very heavy cylinder but comes restricted to 2.1bar if used as a bubble top. If you want a 3bar version they have supply a spec order with a different combi valve. The electrical connections are a bit flimsy. Another plus point is you can get a DualStream version.

Finally, the Vaillant uniSTOR is a little beauty and addresses tight installs by having most of the connections on the front. It also is WRAS approved for thermistor control from a Vaillant eBUS system, giving much better control and economy when used with an ecoTEC boiler.

I should have mentioned Viessmann's unvented range, which is expensive, massively constructed, can be thermistor controlled, is difficult to order because of the different installation options and the installation guide is very Germanic. Typical Viessmann really. Very heavy, not for the solo heating engineer.

Hi anyone help or have an opinion please?

I have just had an OSO 20 RI (indirect) 250litre and a Greenstar 24i System Condensing Boiler fitted but not commissioned... the builder had said Megaflow...the plumber fitted OSO...it still isn't fully commisioned and is running off the immersion heater..ok so far except that the pressure to the shower in the newly converted loft is nowhere near what we had been led to believe the "MEgaflow" would produce!! So questions..

1. WOuld the pressure increase once all the other bath / shower facilities have been commisioned?
2. Would the pressure increase when the boiler is commissioned as well as the cylinder, people say it wont make any difference logic seems to tell me it should...but I'm no expert!

We have a large blue flexible more than an inch diameter connected to the water meter just outside the property boundary, this runs in directly to the main stop cock and from there on seems to run in mostly 22mm flexible hose, 15mm flexible to the rads off the 22mm feeds. As I say I think the 22mm runs most of the way or all the way up to the shower in the loft. We will have soon hopefully a shower and bath on the 1st floor and an ensuite shower in the loft.

Please can anyone shed any light on why the pressure seems so poor, the builder thinks its poor and the plumber doesn't seem to have a clue...OSO said the pressure is it is 2.1 bar and thats as good as it gets?!!

I've read various posts on here and it seems the Megaflow is superior and that OSO can only be tweaked with the addition of some valve or another available from the manufacturer?

Thanks in advance

This should have been a new thread.

It is possible but unlikely that the pressure will be increased. And there is nothing wrong with OSO (in fact I would rate them high than Megaflow).

The pressure you get is the pressure you are given from the street. Nothing more.

Thanks Dan for the quick reply basically what you are saying contradicts what we were initially told. If you are right that means we will get no better than mains pressure in the shower...which I would judge we are not getting. Anyway I have as you suggested opened a new thread to get as much guidance as I can before determining the best course of action.

As a matter of interest my adjoining neighbour has a Megaflow and I'm told the pressure is such that the water "explodes" out of the tap and into the bath and it fills so quickly. The water comes out of the taps so fast that you have to be careful not to get drenched when standing near the sink upstairs. They are delighted with the Megaflow...we are not getting this sort of performance at the minute hence the questions...

Thanks again

glynstab wrote

As a matter of interest my adjoining neighbour has a Megaflow and I'm told the pressure is such that the water "explodes" out of the tap and into the bath and it fills so quickly. The water comes out of the taps so fast that you have to be careful not to get drenched when standing near the sink

It has nothing to do with the cylinder.
Your system may have a fault or is installed incorrectly.

simond said:
Finally, the Vaillant uniSTOR is a little beauty and addresses tight installs by having most of the connections on the front. It also is WRAS approved for thermistor control from a Vaillant eBUS system, giving much better control and economy when used with an ecoTEC boiler.

Couldn't agree more simon ;)

Megaflow everytime, just take into account when renewing the cylinder, your main water pressure and also flow rates, as too low of either will make a great system rubbish, as a guess, a 22mm cold water main, with 30 litres per minute and 3 bar, but then check manufacturers recommendation, use a gas safe engineer who is register to commission an Unvented hot water supply, gas safe site will list all such operative in your area. jon wells. gas safe 186229

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back