unvented Hot Water Cylinders.... which one?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having an extension built, and at the same time a new heating and hot water system put in. The builders have quoted for a Telford unvented cylinder, but a friend has said the Heatrae Sandia Megaflo is the best on the market. I can have the Megaflo, but it'll cost me an extra £350. Is it worth it?

Sponsored Links
I agree the HS Megalflow is a good cylinder. They have an internal air gap so no additional expansion vessel is required. If you don't mind an expansion vessel SANTON unvented cylinders are also made by Heatrae Sadia [same factory even?] and are cheaper.

Have fitted Megaflows and Santon cylinders, never a Telford but they are a reputable make.

What capacity do you require, what is your mains water pressure and flow rate, and do you need a twin-coiled cylinder for solar panels or the like? The chances are that you will need to upgrade your cold water mains feed to 22mm from 15mm up to the cylinder.

I find megaflo cylinders need too much TLC and seen a few fail. I prefer the range tribune or the santons with external expansion vessel.

Thanks Leaky Dave...

We have really good pressure. We have a 22 mm mains pipe, which has just been replaced, but thanks for the steer.

We have plenty of room so not too worried about a separate expansion tank. Will have a look at the other boiler you mentioned.

Sponsored Links
Range tribune or Ultrasteel HT both from the kingspan group of companies now as KS have been buying a lot over the last 2 years.

I have never liked the all in 1 version of cylinders as once the membrain breaks it is expensive, go for seperates all the time as it is cheaper to change an expansion vessel.

The only thing I will say is get rid of the sunvic 2 port valve as they are not self closing on power off.

If you don't mind an expansion vessel SANTON unvented cylinders are also made by Heatrae Sadia [same factory even?] and are cheaper.

Yes they come off the same production line until about half way round.

They are not much cheaper these days though :cry:

ok... thanks everyone for the advice so far

so no one hugely pro the Telford, but not much anti it either. I'll mention the Range and the Santon to the guy tomorrow and see what he says. I guess if he's fitted a load of Telfords and they've never been a bother then I should take that on board as well.

I can see the benefits of keeping a separate expansion tank, apart from price that is. It does make everything more accessible, and it's going in the world's tallest cupboard. Sorry didn't understand the Sunvic Port comment... knowledge doesn't go that far.

As regards the sunvic 2-port valve, I was taught to fit what the manufacturer supplied and not to change any components...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back