Unvented System - Groan/Water Hammer when opening hot faucet.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi :D

I had an unvenvted system. Its a 210litre high pressure cylinder in the loft with separate expansion vessel.

The boiler is an OilStar oil-fuelled unit downstairs. The system provides DHW to four sinks in the house, and two showers.

The pipework gives out quite a loud groan when we open any of the hot taps - not so much with the shower. It last about 4 or 5 secs then fades away. The noise is closer to a groan than a water hammer sound.

How can I go about sorting this out?

- The pressure in the expansion vessel is fine. 3.5bar. No drips from the cyl overflow.
- Hot water heats and circulates fine, no air in the system as far as I can tell.
- We can't seem to see exactly where the noise comes from....within one of the (stud) walls I think.

Very grateful for anyones advice :)

I'm reasonably competent as a DIY'er.....butI don't think capable of working on the pressurised cylinder.

Cheers in advance,

Tom

Sponsored Links
Pressure too high the expansion valve should blow off at 3bar get a qualified unvented plumber in these things can explode.you have a pressure problem the noise is your tank groaning when you realease the pressure.

It's a callout job because tinkering can lead to bad things happening that may not happen immediately!

Sponsored Links
Hi guys - cheers for the responses - Two quite different answers there, is there any way that I can give myself confidence it is/isn't the cyl pressure before spending £££ on calling someone out?

Tom

High pressure if you assume the cylinder/prv is 3 bar, lots of cylinders run at 3.5 bar working pressure.

Sorry, I meant how can I confirm that its a pressure relief/cyl fault, rather than something like the inlet valve that the first poster mentioned?

Sorry, I meant how can I confirm that its a pressure relief/cyl fault, rather than something like the inlet valve that the first poster mentioned?
Get someone who's qualified to look @ it , you obviously aren't so leave well alone.

Think of it like 'smelling gas' - all 'you' can do is shut it off at the supply and call a qualified engineer to investigate!
Whatever is causing the issue is part of a 'system' which needs to be thoroughly inspected for safe operation after any component replacement!

Pressure too high the expansion valve should blow off at 3bar get a qualified unvented plumber in these things can explode.you have a pressure problem the noise is your tank groaning when you realease the pressure.

Are you qualified?

Expansion valve does not blow off at 3 bar that's just what the pressure reducing valve is set too. The groaning is almost certainly from the diaphragm in the EV and usually this problem is caused by an unbalanced supply backfeeding the cylinder ;)

Hi again,

Thanks v much for all the responses :)

I just sat next to the cyl & EV while my wife operated the tap. It wasn't immediately obvious which the noise was coming from, but with one hand on each, I can certainly feel it coming from the EV, rather than the cyl.

It was last 'serviced' in June (this year) - The EV had actually gone flat, and it was causing a drip from the overflow when the boiler was on. Recharging/pumping the EV to 3.5 bar solved that problem.

We can't actually remember if the groaning stated before or after this, I think after, else I'd have told the plumber who came.

Other than recharging the EV, the service just included a visual look over the tank which took 30 secs.

I note: The PRV on the side of the cyl (on the side of the cyl is stamped T&P relief (temp & pressure?) has 10 BAR written on it....

There is also a 3BAR valve of some kind on the inlet pipe, I assume this is for limiting pressure from the mains.

Cheers again as always, I'll try calling the local plumber tomorrow/Monday,

Tom

One things you might want to do, I normally cut a small off-cut of pipe lagging between the expansion vessel and the wall it's bolted to so it doesn't bounce around when you draw water off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back