Updating heating and water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have to buy a new oil Boiler, the old one is not repairable.

At the moment I have a non condensing oil boiler that is running a gravity feed hot water and heating system.
Do some new condensing boilers run on Gravity feed systems, or should I be getting the pipe work updated to a fully pumped system?
My house is quite large and the same house next door has zone crontrol for up stairs and down.

I do not have this because at some time it has been taken out and it does not have zones now.
I would like to re zone up and down. I was thinking of 2 programmable RF wireless thermostats , one up one down.

I would like to be able to have the heating on downstairs for longer, then turn the heating on upstairs at a different time, and vary the temperatures etc. At the same time I need to be able to turn the hot water on by timer when I want to.
I'm not a plumber but I just want to get things right in my head before I start talking to plumbers for quotes.

Would I need a programmer to turn the hot water on at the boiler and 2 programmers for the thermostats?
Would it be straight forward for a plumber to wire?
I'm thinking of doing some of the wiring myself if I can not aford the plumbers quote.

Not touch the wires back to the boiler or anything to do with the boiler but maybe get all the other wiring done ready just to connect to the boiler.

Sponsored Links
Oil boilers are more efficient than gas boilers.

It would be far cheaper and energy saving to keep the existing boiler but carry out efficiency improvements like zoning your house and adding TRVs to the radiators. This will keep energy efficiency to a maximum for the least expenditure.

Have you considered the energy stored, dissipated, and recovered in different ankle-foot prostheses?

Tony

The boiler is not economical to repair.
Anyone familiar with the question I had about zoning etc?

No I have not considered your ankle idea, thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes you can zone, but pipework moodifications will be required.

I doubt you have a gravity CH system, there aren't many of these about now. Is there any pump on the system at all? You may have gravity HW, this is common.

In a job like the one you describe, I doubt that doing the wiring yourself will affect the price much, especially bearing in mind your basic questions on the subject of heating controls ;) .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back