Updating Qualifications

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

A little bit of background info about myself; in 2011 I completed Level 3 of Electrical Installation. The path I took to obtain this qualification was Level 2 City & Guilds for 1 year full time, followed by 1 year full time of Level 3 through EAL, as I could not find an apprenticeship at the time to complete Level 3 through City and Guilds.

Since then, I have progressed through HNC in Engineering, and I am now currently studying HND in Electrical Engineering.

Rergarding my domestic qualifications, I understand that when I completed them I was 17th Edition qualified, but as I hadn't completed an apprenticeship through Level 3 I did not get the "qualification" required for work sign-off.

It has now been 4 years since I studied, where could I update my 17th edition? How would I go about getting to the level of being able to carry out and sign off domestic work, or even do some of my own? Would I need to contact a local company to do an NVQ through, or to go down the Part P route?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Not knowing the location were you live, other than the UK, it is difficult to advice which centres near you are offering your desired qualification. But there will be plenty about, providing you don't live on a remote island somewhere.
Regarding being able to sign work off domestically (this is different to issuing certificates!), you would need to become a member of a domestic scheme provider. (assumption is your intention is to work in domestic properties).

There are a number of scheme providers NICEIC, ELECSA and NAPIT being probably the most recognised of those, but there are a few others.
Each scheme will likely request differing requirements from you, all will expect you to have your 17th edition, most will expect NVQ level 3, some will expect you to have or acquire an inspection and testing qualification. (as was once the 2391).
Also your scheme will expect you to have a library of relevant publications, calibrated test equipment, sample health and safety policy and risk assessments, also quotes, contract agreements etc.. You will need public liability insurance for at least £2 million and some work to show the assessor, generally new circuits/CU swap/new install.

I am with ELECSA and the link below will give you an insight to what they require.
http://www.elecsa.co.uk/Contractors/Part-P.aspx

Last edited:
Wow, that's a lot of hoops to jump through (understandably!). Essentially then I've done nothing with my initial training and qualifications except use it for leverage to where I am now then. Pretty sure the EAL awarding body didn't offer NVQ as part of the level 3 qualification, and reading through everything on the link you posted pretty much everything I've learnt has gone to waste in terms of being able to do any domestic electrical work whatsoever. I still have my copy of the regs/on-site guide etc. and read through them, but that doesn't mean anything.

Guess I'll just stick to rewiring lights!

Thanks for the informative response.

Your qualification have not all gone to waste, as you have acquired fundamental knowledge and some progressive qualification, which will help you progress further to the required ones. The 17th edition exam is not that difficult. You will need the updated/amended publication of BS7671 (now the big yellow book).
But even if you do not meet the requirements of a scheme provider, that does not stop you working as a domestic electrician, but will still need to comply to the regulation stated in part p, which would require you to go through their notifying procedure, where work is deemed notifiable and paying the associated fees, which regrettably for you may not make some jobs financially viable for yourself/ your clients.

Sponsored Links
Yes, sorry I worded that a bit harshly. It's helped me massively with gaining fundamental knowledge. I think the crux of what I was trying to get at is checking out what my options are if **** ever hits the fan, so to speak.

I'm fully aware of notifiable work, and what the differences are between what is/isn't notifiable in domestic work, I suppose I just needed to be aware that I can do the work, but on the basis that I inform my local authority.

As an example, where would I stand with if I wanted to carry out notifiable work in my own home, that I know I am competent of doing? Obviously I'd inform my council, pay the fees etc., but would they then send someone out to sign off the work? I didn't think you could do that?

In theory you would apply prior to starting work and have approval from buildings cons to proceed.
They would visit the property after first fix, then again on commissioning.
The commissioning route is varied, they may use a third party, you may use a third party, there is a possibility that they may commission it (but I think they are moving away from this process).

Ah ok I follow.

Yea I'm pretty sure my council use a third party company, too tight to get someone on the books permanently!

You've been a great help in making me understand the process more thoroughly, thanks a lot!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back