Upgrade open vent/S-Plan?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My open vent s-plan system has an old non-condensing boiler and I want to start making plans to upgrade it for higher efficiency and a more up to date system.

I was thinking about just having a new open vent boiler installed but really need some advice about whether there would be any benefits to converting to a sealed system or combi. Hot water pressure is not currently an issue so would there be any other advantages?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If the boiler is working fine and youre happy with it , then there is no reason changing it as it will take you years to break even because of the cost of having the new boiler installed and the cost of the new boiler as well.

When I looked at having my non condensing boiler changed I worked out it would take 20 years to break even before I started seeing savings because of the small amount of saving a new higher effiency boiler would give me

I spent some money installing better insulation so I wouldn't have to use the boiler so much in the first place

Main advantages of a sealed heating system is less corrosion and no header tank.
Less airlocks

Upgrading to a combi or unvented main advantages potentially including the above and mains drinking water at every tap and mains pressure. So no shower pumps needed.
Also generally more effecient.

a combi or unvented is always best if you can get the water pressure and flow rate required.

could also move the boiler or unventedect in the loft if you wanted

Sponsored Links
I was in the same boat as the OP when my boiler was 25 years old and was starting to make kettling sounds. It would never have lasted another 20 years. Changed mine for fear of it packing up in winter. Part of the reason was that while it was still working, I had time on my hands to look around, see what was available and have the time to get one installed for a good price. Wouldn’t have been able to do that had it broke down at the busiest time of year for heating engineers. I dare say I could have gotten another year out of the old one but having only paid about £500 for it 25 years ago and never having it serviced, I considered I’d more than had my money’s worth out of it. If I get 15 years out of my new one and I’ve had it installed a year sooner than I should have, I’ve only saved myself about a hundred quid. Being without a boiler for a week or so in winter is not worth saving a hundred quid for as far as I’m concerned and I certainly wouldn’t have got it supplied and fitted for what I paid in the slack season.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back