upgrade required???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been asked to add additional sockets to an installation,the problem is some of the existing sockets are fitted within the skirting boards, the cable appears to be new but who ever rewired the house appears to have been too lazy to relocate the sockets. My question is if am to add the new sockets is it my responsibility to change the existing sockets? I also noticed when isolating the sockets to check out the wiring that some of the sockets are somehow connected to the cooker radial :confused: The whole installation appears to be a diy job and not sure if I can be bothered with the hassle especially as i don't know what other suprises ill find. Would appreciate an answer to my initialquestion sorry if i prattled on a little.

Sponsored Links
Breezer - Similar question - so i hope you don't mid me hijacking this thread :?:
What is the stance for adding (downstairs) additional sockets to an install, with no RCD protection? Can you proceed, and make a note in the deviations box? or would you fit RCD? - My problem is this will require a new CU, and then untold (no conforming) issues with older installs.

I take it that means that I'm responsible for any non compliances in any of the circuits, even the ones that I haven't touched?

Sponsored Links
clarke24, I don't think that was the intention. The difficulty you have is that you may not know what's in the wiring, and so to add anything might or might not comply. eg. extra spur on a ring - is it really a ring? So you install something which doesn't comply because of the existing wiring, THEN you are responsible for the non-complying bit. Then you get the pain in the bum.

But if I know its a ring main and extend the ring but some of the existing sockets are mounted in the skirting board, do I have to move those sockets up the wall.

I would say not.

As an example, I recently replaced a CU. The customer had a PIR done, and I made him aware of the deviations - there were a few.

Then I proceeded to replace the CU.

When you replace the CU, there are bound to be parts of the install that do not comply, but you cannot force the client to have them dealt with. You are doing the right thing marking the deviations on the cert and making sure he/she/they understand what's what.

After all, a lot of non-compliance is not necessarily dangerous or requires immediate attention eg: sockets in skirting - you're just pointing out that the regs have moved on and these things no longer comply.

Thanks secure spark thats exactly what I wanted to know. Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back