Upgrading Consumer Unit to 17th Edition Compliant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
30 years ago I completed a good apprenticeship as an electrician but soon after, I moved over to specialize in air conditioning. I have my 16th edition and will shortly complete the 17th edition upgrade - just to ensure I don't loose touch.

However, since I was sparkying things have changed - hence why I am asking these questions!

I intent to upgrade my old house consumer unit for a 17th Compliant MK version - all the wiring and fittings are good. Years ago we just use to rip out the suppliers 100amp fuse and just get on with fitting the new box. After testing it out, we then replaced the suppliers fuse - fitted another seal, and that was that.

Now I understand the regs make a consumer unit replacement a little more difficult restrictive!!

Questions?

What is the situation with regard to cutting the seal and removing the supplier 100amp fuse to do this work?

When the new consumer unit is in, do you have to get them round to inspect it before their supply is restored? If so, how much is this likely to cost?

Sponsored Links
What is the situation with regard to cutting the seal and removing the supplier 100amp fuse to do this work?
Probably the same as it was years ago - technically illegal, but you find me an example of someone being prosecuted for it, assuming no theft was involved, and nothing went wrong.

When the new consumer unit is in, do you have to get them round to inspect it before their supply is restored? If so, how much is this likely to cost?
AFAIK they don't inspect and only want to see a certificate for new supplies.

Fix an isolation switch in a handy place, get the tails from isolator to CU all ready, then get them to pull the fuse.

Remember though that even though you may have 17th edition qualifications, if you're not a member of a Part P competent person scheme then you'll need to notify your LABC before replacing the consumer unit...

Sponsored Links
I have a friend closeby who is fully registered, so I'll get him round to provide the required paperwork

I think it's worth pointing out that that would be against the Part P regulations - members of competent persons schemes are not meant to self certify anyone elses work.

I'm sure it happens, but I thought it worth pointing out at least that it isn't supposed to...

OK I'll bare it in mind - appreciate you comment for making me aware of yet another potential issue I wasn't aware of!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back