Upgrading Earth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I'm upgrading an old fuse board to a new consumer unit, and want to install a 16mm main earth bond.

The current earth is a spindly looking cable somehow tacked on to the incoming supply:

DSC00468.jpg

I'd be very grateful if you'd let me know what to do! I've not come across one like it before.

Cheers,

Eddie.

Sponsored Links
contact the electricity supplier, tell them it has a poor earth, ask them to supply a new earth point. They will probably be able to supply PME. they might do it free or they might charge £6- to £100 which will be money well spent.

Are you qualified to do the work you mention? It is notifiable.

Its TNS. And its dog ugly :mad: I'd want the cutout and feed cable replacing. But its probably fine as it is.

AFAIK, the supplier is responsible for the main earth connection to the feed cable.

p.s. mention that a black tarry substance appears to have been dripping out of the service head and is visible on the backboard. This should make them take it seriously and they are very likely to replace the service head. this should be free.

they are not likely to replace the incoming cable.

Sponsored Links
What is the main fuse value? as well it is important to know the tails size.
In any case the wire has to be insulated. As a rule you not suppose to touch it, this is the property of the LEB. If it is not safe they have to come and sort it out, in most cases they will not charge for this.

The earthing terminal (if they supply one, they don't have to) is the responsibility of the supplier. However the earthing cable is the responsibility of the customer. I suggest you provide a 16mm earth wire to a conveniently positioned earth block and ask then to connect that new wire to their new earth point if and when they provide one. otherwise they may reconnect your unsatisfactory old wire and seal the earth point under a cover.

Installing or upgrading main bonds is not notifiable work and the householder can do it.

I thought it is main/supp equipotential bonding which is non-notifiable?
Notifiable or not though, it needs to be checked that the earth connection is there and sound (hopefully the DNO will do this) as part of the commisioning.

Just put it in a MET, and worry about your earthing conductor and bonding conductors from there onwards, the spindly cable is the property of the DNO who work to different rules than us.

Then if you like, speak to DNO about a service head upgrade

Thanks very much for all replies.

I'm am part p approved, but haven't been going long on my own and wasn't sure what the score was.

The method descibed in the last post sounds like the way to go. The client has already contacted central networks at my request for a service fuse upgrade (it's an ancient re-wireable version), so they may well PME it then.

Once again - cheers all. It's good to get some different opinions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back