upgrading heating control to smart - complete newbie!

Yes, you will lose Opentherm which is a lot better at controling the boiler than anything the Wiser can do.
bugger! any alternative suggestions to Wiser, ultimately i just want a nice easy way to control all my TRV's don't care about anything else.

Sponsored Links
bugger! any alternative suggestions to Wiser, ultimately i just want a nice easy way to control all my TRV's don't care about anything else.
Wiser will give you that level of control, it just won’t support Opentherm.

i've decided to order anyway in the hope that Opentherm will be f/w updatable on the controller at some point - Drayton themselves seem to think it will, but no eta :(

Never heard of a Evoqyl Therma Q boiler. But from a wiring point of view the two items are electrically interchangeable. They only have 3 basic on/off switches inside. N & L are straight forward then:

ESI terminal 3 HW on = Wiser terminal 2 HW on (Dark brown wire)
ESI terminal 4 CH1 on = Wiser terminal 1 CH on (Black wire)
ESI terminal 6 CH2 on = Wiser terminal 3 CH on (Grey wire)

Wiser Three Channel
View attachment 324193

I believe that the unit in your photo is only of a programmer and there will be two room thermostats elsewhere. If so, they will need decommissioning properly, they can't just be disconnected a small wiring modification will also be required. If you do have separate room thermostats and need help with this, post back and give their details.
so i've installed the system and the new room stats work, however they don't actually produce heat and i'm guessing it's cos i have these in place?

do you know how i go about decomissioning them?

thank you

Attachments

• room stat front.jpg
    room stat front.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 46
  • room stat back.jpg
    room stat back.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 45
Sponsored Links
I've not seen that make / model of room thermostat before. You would need to provide details of their wiring, and if they are wireless thermostats details of their receiver wiring would be required.

You should be able to test that the system is working by turning any existing room thermostat to its maximum setting then the Wiser should work the heating.

they are wireless so can not turn them on anymore :(

it goes with this cylinder if that helps

Attachments

• cylinder.jpg
    cylinder.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 34
Thanks for the info. So If they are wireless, then either:

a) They communicated with the old Therma programmer, and in which case if you have wired in the Wiser correctly in its place everything should be working now.

or

b) If they communicated with something else then we would need details of it.

If it's a) and the heating is not working, please post a photo of the wiring made to the Wiser.

OK, so I've worked out if i 1st set the new thermostats to active, ie calling for heat then it makes the old ones turn on and i can control the heat again, so I've just turned the new ones all the way up and can control using the old ones although obv i would rather just remove the old ones and let the new ones do the job

So now I'm a bit puzzled: :unsure:
You should be able to test that the system is working by turning any existing room thermostat to its maximum setting then the Wiser should work the heating.

they are wireless so can not turn them on anymore :(

I've just turned the new ones all the way up and can control using the old ones although obv i would rather just remove the old ones and let the new ones do the job
Glad you've got your heating on, but it should also work the other way around. Turn the old ones up full, and the new ones should control the heating.

But, are you sure that the old thermostats are wireless? They look like this to me......

Front.jpg

......and if so, they have wiring terminals numbered 1 to 5 so definitely not wireless.

If yours are the same, to decommission one, there are three options, the first is the way the professionals would do it:

1. Trace the thermostat cable from the thermostat back to its origin.

2. When you find the origin of the cable, take take a photo, or make a note of where the wires from L (1) and NO (5) are connected.

3. Disconnect all of the wires going to the old thermostat and remove the cable and old thermostat.

4. Insert a wire link between the terminals where the two switching wires from L and NO have just been removed from, so that they are now electrically joined together.

Or, option 2. Replace the thermostat with a junction box and put the wires from L and NO together in one terminal and the wire (or wires) from N in a terminal on its own.

Or, option 3 Leave the old thermostats in situ and move the wire(s) from L and put it/them in the NO terminal with the wire already there.

Any questions, or not sure about something just post back.

I’ve got an almost identical setup and similar kit although my wiring was a tad different.

I only had hot water control from the TQX and then my wall thermostats (Honeywell) were hard wired.

I tried the wiser and couldn’t get it working and switched to Tado and got that wired up in a breeze.

Hi,
This is my wall plate for the thermostat - thinking it's wireless as it can be powered by usb and then it turns on when not attached to the wall!

my main wiring board attached to the sotrage tank, jsut below where the controller goes is here but nothing is clear on the wiring :(

Attachments

• wall plate.jpg
    wall plate.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 42
  • main wiring.jpg
    main wiring.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 42
I’m no expert in this department but what helped me was googling and then finding the manuals and installation documents for my existing system to understand how it worked.

What’s the wiring behind the wall plate on the left.

Maybe you can post the actual names / model numbers of your existing system.

Wireless means that a thermostat does not have any of the heating control wires connected to it. They go to a remote receiver instead. The two devices communicate by radio waves, so the thermostat tells the receiver when to switch the heating on or off.

wireless thermostat.jpg

A wired thermostat is just that. The control wires are terminated at the thermostat and there's no receiver

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back