Uplighter distance from pitched ceiling

DJM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As we are decorating, SWMBO wants to replace the wall light with new and has chosen http://www.thelighting-company.co.u..._58_5/dar-via-wall-light-satin-chrome-p-14016. But as it has a stupidly high wattage halogen (and although I would replace with the lowest I can get which seems to be 60w) I'm still concerned about heat and proximity to the pitched ceiling.

I am sure the instructions will state how far from the ceiling it should be (hope of experince there :( ) but no point buying only to find to use it we'd have to floor mount it :LOL:

So is there a rule of thumb for distance between 60w halogen uplighter and a emulsion painted pitched ceiling?

Sponsored Links
BS7671 (wiring regs) States that fixed equipment and fixed materials adjacent to electrical equipment "shall be protected against harmful effects of heat or thermal radiation"
This often by non-combustible barriers/enclosures or distance.
There are no particular distances given to up lighters and I would say if you offered a sensible distance of around 500mm it should not be a potential risk.
But if the manufacturer advises differently, use their guidance.
If you chose to contact the manufacture the numbers is:
Tel: +44 (0)1295 672200
http://www.darlighting.co.uk/contact_us.php

Thanks for the reply. Persuaded her to look at something else which is not as inefficient.

I concur.

Spot fittings usually have 0.5m on them as the minumum distance between the lamp and an adjacent surface.

Sponsored Links
And even if mounted far enough away not to damage the ceiling, or be dangerous, I guarantee it would have discoloured it over time.

Could you put a cornice up which you could use for concealed cold cathode neons?

here's an example of that in a domestic kitchen showing that it isn't only suitable for nightclubs and hotel foyers:

(Ignore the fact that there are also torches in that ceiling :confused: )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back