upstairs heating stopped working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Stumbled across this website today looking on google for info on the advantages of sealed system. I'll explain why its being considered and why I would really appreciate your experienced opinion.

I currently rent a house from a private landlord who uses a young family friend heating engineer to fix problems with this house.

Let me say that it appears I have an old gravity system that has a pump and two motorised valves on it. (HE always refers to it as a very strangely plumbed system)

The HE previously fixed a severe banging problem on our hot water eventually adding the second Motorised valve to the system which stop the problem.

I hadn't needed to call him again until two weeks ago when I was getting water through the ceiling from the loft. I inspected it and the problem seemed to be the cold water tank inlet spraying water that was coming over the tank. So he turned up and replaced that inlet which I think is called a ball valve. He turned the MWS off while doing so.

A couple of days later I noticed that the heating upstairs had stopped working. Only the bathroom radiator gets hot as normal but it's plumbed with the hot water but as always also has a tonne of air inside. I have bled all the upstairs radiators except one in the upstairs hallway which will no longer bleed since this problem (no water and minimal air). I have checked the valve on that rad and its depressing properly.

The HE came back over and spent about 15 minutes trying to release what he thought might be an air block. He couldn't fix it and said the problem is nothing to do with the cold water tank valve that he had changed.

He said that what he is going to do next is seal the system which should remove the air and help identify if there are any leaks.

Also every evening since and occasionally before the hot F&E tank has been spilling out into my garden.

I personally don't think he has investigated the problem for long enough because the heating working before and it wasn't sealed then!

Any thoughts on the problem and this solution would be extremely welcomed.

Thanks

James

Sponsored Links
His solution will solve the problems! Also save you1-25 on gas bills

Why not relax, pay your rent and leave it all to the HE ?

Tony

Tell him to check the anti gravity valves not stuck, its usually boxed in at the side of the BBU.

Sponsored Links
His solution will solve the problems! Also save you 1-2% on gas bills

Why not relax, pay your rent and leave it all to the HE ?

Tony

At least it will solve the air in the system and the pumping over which if left for very long will cause rads to form pin holes!

There might also be other problems.

But its not your problem. Its up to the landlord and the HE to solve it whatever it takes.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back