upstairs sockets problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:confused: Hi, we got up yesterday to a strange problem.. None of the sockets upstairs were working and the "sockets" switch for the upstairs hadn't tripped on the electric box. All the downstairs sockets are fine and everthing else like the lights etc are working perfectly - just no supply to the upstairs sockets.

There's never been any problem with our electrics apart from the other day when my iron which had been plugged into an extension lead made a "bang" as I removed it from the extension - this was using the upstairs supply and tripped the switch on the box. I reset the switch and the electrics worked fine until yesterday morning and I cannot think that there was anything different used or switched on.. Weird? :confused:

Any ideas :idea: on what this could be would be appreciated. Many thanks and Merry Christmas.

Sponsored Links
odd one,can only play safe and get a spark in.

something might have fried somwwhere along the line

Hi lliZapie, do you have a digital camera? I would like to see your consumer unit (electric box) and the circuit breakers (switches) so I can help you with this.

MST's right, with what you describe you will need to call someone in, preferably a competent and registered spark.
Maybe the MCB was damaged when it 'blew'.

Sponsored Links
2 drums and a symbol fall off a cliff. what noise do they make?

da-dum tsch.

:oops:

Qedelec said:
MST's right, with what you describe you will need to call someone in, preferably a competent and registered spark.

Obviously, but why does this forum exist? call someone in..boxing day..??

This forum exists to assist you with DIY, the problem you describe is a little more complicated than the usual DIY question.
Do you have a multimeter capable of measuring voltage and continuity to tenths of ohms?
Have you any way of testing the MCB?
Have you an instument capable of measuring insulation resistance?

We only have your safety in mind!!!!!

Qedelec said:
Do you have a multimeter capable of measuring voltage and continuity to tenths of ohms?
Have you any way of testing the MCB?
Have you an instument capable of measuring insulation resistance?
Yes, yes and yes, but I really think lizapie wouldn't know how to use these kinds of things.
And I won't say I have a neon screwdriver (if you don't want me to) but I think I have one somewhere.

:) Got the electrician today and found that a loose connection in the consumer unit had caused the problem & just unfortunate that it went off on christmas morning.. Huge thanks to everyone for their input - I'm not very savvy when it comes to this sort of thing :oops:

Best wishes for the New Year & thanks again :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back