UPVC Conservatory door lock

Jim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The lock on conservatory door has been playing up regularly and I want to replace it. Can anyone explain how to remove the old one to replace it please. The handle is raised upwards to enable the door to be locked(when it doesnt stick!!!)
Jim

Sponsored Links
Try spraying it with WD40 first before changing the lock or it may just need a slight adjustment

I tried WD 40 a few times to no avail. The key often gets completely stuck and immovable. After prolonged effort and removal I then have to get out of the house to try and open /lock from the outside which worked occasionally.

does the lock work with the door in the open position,try throwing the handle up and locking when the doors open,if its ok then the strikers/door need some adjustment,if not then it could be the cylinder or the whole mech.
remove the cylinder,look for a screw on the open edge of the door at the same height as the cylinder,remove this completely and the barrel will be a bit loose,you need to turn the key either slightly left or right whilst pushing the cylinder from the other side,it should slide out,loosen the handles can make it easier.
take the barrel to a local locksmith who can advise you if it works ok,if not a new cylinder might be your answer,if ok then the whole mech needs to come off,usually removeing all the screws down the open edge and remove the handles and the mech will pop out the door.again,a local locksmith should be able to help,id ring round 1st though to see who stocks them,expect to pay from £65 upwards and £10 upwards for a cylinder

Sponsored Links
Is the door out of square? check it by measuring corner to corner

Will have a go at it in daylight tomorrow and see where I get too. Thanks
Jim

Many thanks for your help. I took the lock out and it was dodgy. A new one for £7.84 has solved the problem. The instructions on removing the lock were specially helpful and much appreciated. A great site for help.
Jim

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back