upvc crack in french door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a french window on my flat, upv double glazed, and noticed this crack.....see image.

How do I repair it?

And is it a sign of something more sinister - or just normal wear and tear?

Thanks as always,
Alex

IMG_20180515_111937.jpg

Sponsored Links
Are you sure its a crack not just a scratch? Cracks from movement at usually in the corner welds
Very odd place for a crack, If it is I would say its an impact crack from having been hit by something.

It feels like a small crack, could be an impact.

How is it best to repair it?

The best way would be to get out a "magic man" company but would probably cost you £200ish.
The cheapest and easiest way would be to clean it out with some solvent cleaner, Masking tape around it and then smooth in some white silicone, Silicone will get dirty though. Could use Stalmax but its tricky to work with and would go yellow eventually.

Final option would be to get a PVC wax repair kit for about £50 but it is an artwork job to use them. I have tried many times and cant get it to look perfect.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Gazman16 - I'll do the cheap and cheerful option.

The crack is only 2cm and very thin - and is on the outside of the french window, my flat is 3 floors up .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back