UPVC door won't lock when closed - URGENT help needed please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I am house-sitting my parent's house while they are on holiday and disaster has struck!

The front uPVC door won't lock when it is closed allthough the key seems to work fine and operates the mechanism when the door is open.

It is a very hot day here so I don't know if that's had an effect or whether it's a deeper alignment problem? The handle doesn't seem to lift up fully when the door is closed although it was fine yesterday.

I need help urgently please as I can't lock the door at the moment and I can't stay trapped in my parent's house forever! Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Have you tried locking the door in the open position? This will rule out a lock problem if it works and point to movement/expansion issues.

Yes its an alignment problem and more than likely to do with the weather, as a quick fix open the door, get on your knees and cup your hands under the door and lift up using your leg muscles, you'll hear the rubber gaskets creak as they break friction on the panel/glass, this would have lifted the door slightly and the rubbers should hold the door for a bit or at least till your parents come back.

Dont be scared of putting too much effort into lifting it as you wont damage the door but the only thing to watch is if you have hinges like this.......

http://www.mdgrepairs.co.uk/productpage.php?id=98

You will lift the door off its hinges instead of springing it up, if so get a mate to pull down on the hinge side while you lift the lock side up

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back