uPVC Double Glazing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am just in the process of buying a 3 bed victorian semi. The existing windows are totally rotten and so I am looking to get ballpark figures to replace all the windows with uPVC double galzed units.
There are 8 windows of varying sizes in the property plus one bay window. I have already got a couple of quotes but the cheapest that came in was for £7500! This did include installation, but I am happy to fit them myself if I can find some quality units at a good price.
Can anyone give me a ballpark figure of what I can expect this to cost so that I work out my budget.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You'll probably find that the warranty is affected if you fit them yourself. I had some quotes for double glazing and the prices varied from between £3000 (coldseal) and £5700 (Anglian). I have to say that, for build quality, Anglian did come out on top. This price was for 3 Windows + French doors + 2 Lintels.

I get the impression that it all depends on how good the fitters are.

Thanks.
Were these prices for the 'basic' options? I am wondering whether the prices quoted are always for the bare minimum options. I am, for example, considering whether or not to go for sash windows to suit the property and I guess these may be far more expensive..?. I am not looking for full authenticity though, just a good quality cost effective product.

Well thats nearly a grand a window. If you're happy to fit them yourself you should, in an av.vict. semi, be able to get some made up to measure for well under 200 quid each, plus fixings, foam, mastic etc.. Look in the yellow pages. If you're not a FENSA member though, you'll have to involve building control at your local council and your work will have to meet the latest regs subject to a visit from a council surveyor. And they will charge you for it - £129 for up to £2000 of windows in the London Borough of Enfield for example - more for bigger jobs. Search this sight for further details of that. As for warranties, I wouldn't worry about them. Invariably a waste of paper...

Sponsored Links
we have just had 3 quotes in for replacement pvc sash and casement double glazing.

2 quotes where from the bigger firms (Penicuik and CR Smith - may just be in Scotland?) and both were in the region of £10,000 for 12 windows, fitted.

Have went with a local guy, who we know does a good job, have saw examples of this, at just over £5,000. Quality of windows does not vary much.

We found that with the bigger firms, they seemed to put an awful lot on the fact they gave 3 or 4 different insurances or such other things, which don't mean that much.

All the firms we got to quote did double check that we wanted to go with sash and case as they tend to be a good amount more expensive than normal replacement, DG windows.

Immediately after a larger window is fitted .. trap a single sheet / strip of news-paper twixt seals in openimg lights, especially at hinge side ... make sure it is firmly trapped by seals through trying to pull paper free with window closed and fastened.
If the frames and openers are misfitted or poorly made, this may not be easily visable to the casual eye ..If paper pulls free easily.. (The paper test is used on car door seals too.) then is not sealing properly.
Best to find out quickly before all windows are fitted ... small windows not usually a problem.
P

I had UPVC windows and doors installed at a cost of £12500.
They are CR Smith, Lorimer range, and are coloured light oak.
After two years they all faded badly. I received some compensation, but still have the rubbish windows to look at every day.
If I were to do it all again I would go for Hardwood instead of UPVC.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back