uPVC euro locks are pathetic security - so is it possible to

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I recently got news about how easy it is to bump open cylinder locks, especially the euro ones fitted onto uPVC.

Anyway, having removed one of my locks, to see how long it was ( was going to order a better replacement one ) , I quickly realised the whole system is stupidly easy to break into, regardless of the bump threat.

the locks are exposed on both sides, I would imagine a hammer and a metal rod would easily knock through / break the lock

my query is, is it possible to buy ;

--- door handles with the key hole blanked off ?

as I want to fit half euro locks, so there is no lock exposed externally..... I would then want to fit a handle with the keyhole blanked off ( to keep rain out etc )

there is more security joining a forum , then there is with regards to the doors on our houses,

how pathetic is that ?!

Boogsy

Sponsored Links
Buy some anti-bump and anti-snap cylinders

The thing is, who bothers to bump or snap locks when smashing a window, or levering out a panel on the door will do just nicely :rolleyes:

I agree with the woods, you would need to turn your house into a fortress in order to stave off the most diligent of crooks.

It is best to appear as poor as pi$$, then no crook will bother with your house and move on.:cool:

I ' almost ' see the point of the points made,

however, the worrying thing about the bump method, is that in a matter of seconds someone can enter your house making almost silently.

if they kick in the window, and you are in bed, at least you will be alerted - using bump method they can walking around your house whilst you are in bed.

I think better locks are needed and am shocked at the low quality low security rubbish fitted as standard.

I guess not many people take this matter seriously enough, smack heads will break into your house if they think they can come away with a £ 5 , the bump method is so simple, Ive seen a 12 year old school girl bumping a lock within 5 seconds ( u tube ) , now that is worrying.

ps: Ive not seen any true anti bump euro locks, some claim theyve been modified to be bump proof, but Ive not see a spec from a major manufacturer stating the locks are 100% bump proof.

Sponsored Links
It is not easy to knock the cylinder through the door, as they are positioned in the door, not only with the retaining screw, but also an off set cam on the cylinder it self. This method would cause a lot of noise & time if it worked at all. There has been a lot of publicity about bumping, which I believe is a lot of scare mongering, it is possible to do, mainly on cheap cylinders, but even on these, if you can imagine how many different types of key & profiles there are (1000s) a potential thief would require a hell of a lot of pre made bump keys to carry around. So don’t get shocked into panicking unnecessarily. I would be more worried about the unreliability of cheap cylinders than anything else. It is always advisable to only fit good quality cylinders like Eurospec or Mul-T-lock.

If you fit Half euro's, how are you going to lock/unlock the door from the outside - or am I missing something?

There's a product called pickbuster that you can apply to your cylinders, and to the last poster - its not all hype, bumping is a serious threat. Granted, 99% of the time a thief is going to put your window through or cave your door in as he hasn't the brain cells to grasp the bumping process.

http://www.banthebumpkey.com/

Funny you should mention pickbuster, as amongst others, they are promoting the existence of bumping, for obvious reasons. This product has been proven by experts in the field to be ineffective.

If you fit Half euro's, how are you going to lock/unlock the door from the outside - or am I missing something?

There's a product called pickbuster that you can apply to your cylinders, and to the last poster - its not all hype, bumping is a serious threat. Granted, 99% of the time a thief is going to put your window through or cave your door in as he hasn't the brain cells to grasp the bumping process.

http://www.banthebumpkey.com/[/QUOTE]

why would you want to lock the door from the outside ?

i have french doors and a utility room door i would love to put blanked keyhole handles on but no one seems to make any that will fit.
utter madness

Well, if I'm leaving the house - I like to lock it, and it's very difficult trying to lock the door through the letterbox while I'm on the outside. I'm sure that I'm missing something in the translation here - surely I'm not the only person who locks a door from the outside..... :confused:

Well, if I'm leaving the house - I like to lock it, and it's very difficult trying to lock the door through the letterbox while I'm on the outside. I'm sure that I'm missing something in the translation here - surely I'm not the only person who locks a door from the outside..... :confused:

i am refering to the back of the house , why do i need to lock from the outside if i am in the garden

I think he's making the point that whist everyone needs a front door to lock from the outside you don't necessarily need to lock/unlock the other exterior doors of a dwelling from the outside so from a security point of view why have a key hole in the outside at all?

i am refering to the back of the house , why do i need to lock from the outside if i am in the garden

Well now you've made yourself clear - I can understand your reasoning. Having said that, you come home one evening and find you can't open the front door (the locks broken), you walk around the rear of the house and - oops, there's no keyhole. Well thats an expensive call out.....

Well now you've made yourself clear - I can understand your reasoning. Having said that, you come home one evening and find you can't open the front door (the locks broken), you walk around the rear of the house and - oops, there's no keyhole. Well thats an expensive call out.....

true but i would be hardly walking round with the patio door keys

Unless you've some trusting neighbours who hold a spare set of keys for you - you're a lockout waiting to happen.

and anyway, the reason for having a BS deadlock on your Final Exit door, is that all the others can have bolts on them to supplement whatever other lock you can afford.

So even if I have the key to the side gate padlock, and the key to the back door, in my pocket, I wouldn't be able to get in round the back without a forced entry (neither would anyone else)

Of course, my patio doors have key-operated bolts top and bottom inside, as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back