UPVC foil colours any good?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am currently in the process of deciding what type of UPVC for new windows. I have looked in to having cream coloured windows, but this is foiled. I am worried that this is not going to stand the test of time and will scratch off.
Otherwise, I would like a dark wood colour on the exterior and white on the interior....I think I have heard this is possible, but again, would the same issue apply, about colour scratching off? Would the dark wood colour be foiled onto a white frame?
Any advice on this would be gratefully received. It is a big job as I am doing the whole house and want to get it right. Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Really do not think you will have any problem with the foil coming off, foils are very popular these days, people want something other than white

Just make sure it's not a foiled frame that has been sprayed, a coloured foil is better imo

Foil is generally bulletproof but in some cases can fail, not because of a fault in the foil but other issues with the install itself, if i could work out how to post pictures here i'd show you 2 recent cases where the glue from the duct tape around the dgus has turned to goo in the heat and flowed down to the bottom eventually seeping out of the bead mitres and blowing the foil on the outside, the repair consisted of cutting the damaged tape off and reapplying new

Sponsored Links
@crank. Best upload pics to photo bucket , then get the code which is beside the picture you uploaded and paste in in between the [ img] above this [/Img]

Foil is generally bulletproof but in some cases can fail, not because of a fault in the foil but other issues with the install itself, if i could work out how to post pictures here i'd show you 2 recent cases where the glue from the duct tape around the dgus has turned to goo in the heat and flowed down to the bottom eventually seeping out of the bead mitres and blowing the foil on the outside, the repair consisted of cutting the damaged tape off and reapplying new

Ouch that sounds like a pain of a job, Have never heard of it before but can see how it could happen. Would definitely like to see the pics.
Best way to post pics is to open a free account with an image hosting site like photobucket, Upload the pics there then you just have to link them here.

When writing a post you will see a little box saying "Img" hit that then copy and paste the direct link to the pic then hit the Img button again and the pic will show on the post.
Its only takes 10 mins to learn how to do it but then you can post pics the same way pretty much anywhere on the net.

:eek:

Ive had glass slip where it has got hot but never seen that before. Recently my suppliers have been recommending toughened glass in all dark colored windows because of some overheating problem. Maybe this was what they ment.

First 2 are eurocell profile

This one is WHS Halo

I work for a PVCu systems company and over the past few years I have come across a number of installations with this problem. according to a contact in the glass IGU manufacturing industry he noticed the problem years ago after his sealant supplier changed the formula of their Polysulfide sealant. The changes to the formula being to reduce cost because of rising additive prices or certain compounds were being phased out ( banned ) because they were seen as harmful ( similar to removing heavy metal compounds from Paints. PVCu etc ). The resinous sticky liquid that leaches from the sealant is most likely to be plasticisers I have been told. These plasticisers have the effect of attacking the foil and adhesive. I have also heard that sealant manufacturers blame the use on silicone sealant ( used by some installers to secure glazing packers in place, ) and this causes the IGU sealant to break down , but I have not seen evidence of this on the installations I have seen. to date I have only seen this issue on IGU's with polysulfide sealant , I have not come across the problem with Butyl Hot melt or Polyurethane as yet which would seem to back up the compound change theory.

First 2 are eurocell profile

This one is WHS Halo

I have also heard that sealant manufacturers blame the use on silicone sealant ( used by some installers to secure glazing packers in place, ) and this causes the IGU sealant to break down , but I have not seen evidence of this on the installations I have seen. to date I have only seen this issue on IGU's with polysulfide sealant , I have not come across the problem with Butyl Hot melt or Polyurethane as yet which would seem to back up the compound change theory.

As goes silicone breaking down the seals , I have seen this first hand. If you use a non Low modulus silicone on Butyl sealants , it will turn the sealant to a sticky mess....not a pretty sight!

As a side question ....Crank39 ...do you do renolit foil repairs then?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back