UPVC French door catching

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my French door is catching the other door

How to I potentially tilt the door as its catching at the top ?

I have been fiddling with it but made it a lot worse

Sponsored Links
we are going to need a pic of your door and hinges. There are a hundred or so different types and makes

They are rehau doors with 4 hinges with it being a 6ft opening

If anything it's the middle of the door that's catching the frame which continues to the top.

It is basically this hinge

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    294.4 KB · Views: 190
Is there an allen key screw visible at the edge of the large bit that fits to the door? It may be covered by a plastic cap.

If not you need to get the big caps off the front.
Open the door and on the inside edge will either be 2 screws or a white plastic button.
If screws undo them and slide the caps off along the door away from the hinge. You may find them very stiff and have to use something to lever it to start with.
If a white plastic button you need to give it a good push with a flat screw driver or something.

Once removed you should see the allen key screw. Those screws will adjust the doors sideways. Do each side equally. Ideally you want a 4mm gap between the doors as they close.

This would have been much easier with pics of your exact hinges!

Sponsored Links
Yes I've had the caps off, underneath there is a Allen key hole to the side, and then a few screws keeping the hinge attached to the door

I wasn't 100% sure what way to turn the Allen key to pull the top of the door back over to the door jam in the brickwork

Thanks

You have the little plastic caps on the edge (door side not the frame side) so you don't need to take it all apart.
Just take those caps off. You will most likely need a 5mm allen key.
Its always the opposite way than you would think it needs winding so anticlockwise to wind the doors away from each other.

Always a good idea to draw a pencil line around the edge of the flag hinge on the door. This way you can both see which way you are winding it and know where to put it back to if it makes things worse.

Cheers mate

One more thing though, do I need to loosen some of the screws in the hinge before turning the Allenkey head anti-clockwise ?

should I get someone to hold the weight of the door ?

Wish I had of just left them the way they were lol

The instructions do say to loosen the screws but 99 times out of 100 its not needed.
If you can see the pencil marks moving as you turn and your not having to really force it you will be fine.
No need for someone to hold the door as your only tweeking it. Just make sure your turning the correct one. Its the one under the tiny plastic cap that you can only see in your first photo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back