UPVC Front door - New handle and Lock - Pls help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening

I've recently bought my first house and I want to replace the front door handle from a gold bashed up handle to nice new silver handle.

I have seen the handle i'd like to buy but what is really causing me some headache is the barrel lock, I just can't figure out what size I'd need.

The door is a standard UPVC door, around 68mm to 70mm in thickness.

The new handle has a backplate which is 15mm thick for the exterior and 10mm thick for the interior.

The website I want to order from has a measuring guide for the barrel which I have followed but I don't know if I have done it correctly.

I am ok to put links to the website I'll be ordering the handle and lock from to help? I'll add these later if ok and not against forum rules.

From the guide, I measured from the screw holding the barrel in its place, this is around 39 to 40mm. With the handle back plate that becomes around 55mm.

The handle I have seen has a cover which kind of sits over the barrel . . .
so do I buy a barrel with a front measurement of 55mm or do I need to allow a extra 5mm on the barrel as the guide mentions?

The back section of the door when measured from the screw is around 30mm, with the internal handle back plate = 40mm . . . so do I then add another 5mm on this also.

Sorry for the basic questions, i really am a DIY noob so wanted confirmation before making an order.

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Open the door, take the screw out that holds the barrel , remove the barrel/euro and measure from each end to the screw hole, euros normally go up by 5mm it will not hurt to get one 5mm bigger

Cheers for the quick reply.

The handle I'm looking to buy is alot thicker than the one currently on the door so the current lock will be too small.

The new handle has a cover over the key hole to stop lock snapping but I wasn't sure if this cover would mean ordering a different size lock.

Here is a link to the handle I'm looking at (mods pls remove if against rules)
http://www.handlestore.com/product_review.php?prd_id=59&cat_id=5

Will the key hole cover cause any problems or do you think it is adjustable?

Any help on this one ladies and gents?

I want (well the lady is putting on the pressure) to order asap.

TVM

Sponsored Links
think you will be safe just buying the same size euro as the one that came out

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back