UPVC Front door width

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building a front porch and although I can get any UPVC door width made to measure, can anyone tell me what is an ideal width for a front door - and why? My existing UPVC door frame is approx. 950mm but door opening width only 780mm.

When I checked some of my neighbours front door frame widths they vary from 880 -950mm.
There must be a protocol regarding widths I would have thought.
many thanks kevin

Sponsored Links
If your building from scratch and having made to measure then have the widest possible, your supplier will tell you the widest they can go but in any case it would be foolish to make it narrower than the internal front door, plan ahead for that sofa or washing machine delivery

Sponsored Links
Sizes come about from modular dimensions of brickwork, so a typical external single opening is four bricks (910mm) or four and and half bricks (1020mm) for better disabled acess. Older openings from imperial times will differ

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back