UPVC Locks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had patio doors fitted into a composite extension & the master door won't unlock. I've had a locksmith out & he managed to unlock the door eventually & from the outside. The lock mechanism itself is fine once away from the frame but my doors are adjusted to the max. I've been told my only option is to have the doors & frame taken out, have the wooden frame realigned & get the doors put back. I'm hoping someone might have a less drastic option. I thought about a different type of lock ? Really don't want the hassle or cost of taking them out. Any ideas would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Your frame is likely not square and throwing everything out of alignment, your doors may not be toe and heeled correctly if at all if hinges are adjusted to the max, who fitted them?

A carpenter, fitted the doors when he built the composite unit. The master door worked great at first & the slave is fine. I should have said UPVC french doors.

Last edited:
Does the carpenter have any upvc experience, not trying to bring him down but just asking. Did the carpenter build the extension around the doors, if so was the door frame square? Is there enough slack around the frame if you need to square the frame up. I go to quite a few garden rooms and extensions where the builder has offered to fit a set of 5/6/7 panel bifolds because they fitted one a decade ago, needless to say most of the time they didn't have a clue and said doors needed taking out and refitting again

Sponsored Links
Well....upvc experience is now questionable tbh.
The extension was built up & frame & doors were fitted as the last part. Maybe removing the front composite might show if the frame is out of alignment..& potentially adjustable.
I even thought, are there any alternative locks, like a top & bottom sliding lock, so I don't have to use the actual door key lock...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back