upvc porch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

New to this site and wondered whether anyone would provide an opinion on an equitable price for the following work to my porch.

I have currently had two window firms out who both quoted £5,000 however I have mangaged to haggle both down to £4,000, although one offers buy now pay Sept 11 which is appealing.

The current wooden porch requires pulling down and re building including footings. Apparently the original construction was simply built on to a concrete rasied base which has started to crack, causing the bay window sloped and tiled roof, which runs above the porch and which the porch supports to drop down.

Both companies have sent out structural surveyors who confirmed we do not need a new roof, as the new porch will keep the roof supported once jacked up.

The specifications are as follows.

Porch base built of stone approx 1m high - requires digging out and footings required.

One single UPVC door and windows to fit above the stone work so approx 2 meters.

The measurements are: height 3 meter, width 2.10 meters and depth 1 meter.

The guy who came out from the first company mentioned we ideally require the porch stone work, double skinned and inside plastered.

Both companies offer a 15 year guarantee however I have yet to have any quotes from say local builders to compare prices. Are the quotes from builders likley to be more competitive than a large window fitting company.

It seems a complete minefield and any comments would be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
What the size of the porch?, can't figure it out from your post.
It's always worth getting quotes.
Gives you a good idea of prices and gives you something to haggle with.
I prefer to use tradespeople I know or are known for quality of work.
A couple of links
http://www.ratedpeople.com
http://www.localtradespeople.co.uk/
Don't ever pay up front for work and always hold back some money until the work is complete and your happy with it.

The last pitched roof porch i priced, which was recently was £4390.

This included some foundations, brickwork, pvcu window and door, roof and finishes.

The size of the porch was about 2.2m x 1.2m but the pitched roof extended over the garage, say another 2m.

Following quotes from upvc window companies I have now had a local builder out for a quote. The builder has said that because we have a cellar that runs the length of the house, any footings for the porch will have to be dug down lower than the cellar which is approx 6ft down. The rational behind it being if he only digs the footings of the porch down say 2-3ft, the footings will be pushing on the cellar wall directly below the front of the house and there would be a 1 in say 20 change there could be structural damage to the cellar wall.

Is this correct and costly. He did advise me to contact local council building regs to see if they would confirm if necessary and also if we could use a raft which would be cheaper and save digging so deep. Does this sound correct.

He did mention that someone from building regs would have to be called out to oversee and for a charge of £300 to amke sure all regs adhered to. Is this correct? The builder did say he would not be prepared to dig out shallow footings knowing there was a cellar.

Does all above ring true?

Sponsored Links
yes, thanks for your replies and me thinks I best get more quotes and discuss the digging down issue with other builders. It did make sense what the first builder said however I have no idea not being in the trade.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back