uPVC question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI Guys,

i've been searching the internet for answers but i've accepted defeat :confused: and would like to ask you guys a couple of questions. :eek:. i've recently bought a flat but have noticed a problem with draught. the flat is less then 10 years old and the draught is from the uPVC windows and door.

Window - there's gaps where the two frames meet. really confused as to what its called, gasket/weatherstrip/weatherseal? also, on the outside, i can push the top inward for a better close buts its only a small movement so not sure if its a new mechanism i need or just a new black strip thing.
Door - this is a pull and slide door and same as the windows, there's a gap between the two frames. thinking new black strip thing again..?

i was thinking of getting this stuff http://goo.gl/6Hj2IF
i did a quick test and tried to peel off the black strip but its really REALLY stuck on. could this be bonded on? how/can i remove this? its a V shape so i was thinking i could cut it and stick on top?

any replies and advice massively appreciated :mrgreen:

Tim

Sponsored Links
The gaskets will have been co-extruded and they don't shrink.

You will most likely find that the drafts are coming in from the top half's of the windows which means that the hinges are wearing in the top corners.

Try some grease/Vaseline in the top corners of the hinges (there will be a metal or plastic lug that guides the top of the hinge) then open and close it a few times to see if it sorts your problem.
If it dosent the hinges are too warn and will need to be replaced. Either way you should clean and lubricate moving parts once a year.

I cant help you with the door as I avoid all tilt and turn products, They make them too complex which always leads to failure of some kind but try to work out where the draft is coming from. If its on the locking handle side it may be a simple adjustment but if its on the runner/hinge side it could be a pain in the butt

cheers Gazman16 for the quick reply. just wanted to double check. so the thing in picture 3 with the arrow on it is called a gasket and i assume co-extruded means can't be taken off? (am thinking about the draught excluder tape stuff for the pull and slide door) and the lug thing, is this it?

thank you :)

Yes thats the bit go ahead and grease it up a bit.
The pvc and gasket are molded together so there not really replaceable.

As for the door its not really secure like that so I would get it looked at by someone and adjusted/repaired properly.

Sponsored Links
Thank you :) i'll grease it up with proper stuff tomorrow, only got WD40 in the flat and i heard thats bad for uPVC. right?

as for the door, i'm on the 4th floor and there's no handle on the outside so security wise should be ok unless spidermans around but i'll get someone to adjust/repair it. any guestimate on pricing?

Vaseline is good if you have any.
WD40 attracts grit and dust so silicone spray is recommenced for the other moving parts.

For the door you could use the stick on stuff but to be that far out of adjustment I would guess its only going to get worse quickly.

Hard to say what it will cost to repair ask a few local window and door company's. Probably around a £30 callout then £20 per hour plus any parts needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back