Upvc skirting won't stay on wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to to install UPVC skirting, the two pieces I've tried so far, 70 cm and 3m, both don't stick fully, only at one end, I've used the supplied glue from the retailer (instant grab) when one end sticks, the other end comes off, any ideas please? Should I apply the adhesive on the edges or all over the back of the skirting?

Sponsored Links
What is the glue not sticking to, the wall or the skirting? What is the surface finish of the wall?

Sponsored Links
No such thing as instant grab need a bucket of water or something against it until it’s gone off.
Agreed! Also helps if the wall is bare plaster (so scuff off paint with coarse, i.e P60 or P40, sandpaper below the skirting top) and it can help if the back of the skirting is also scuffbed where the dabs of glue are. Always worth doing where the materials are shiny as it increases the mechanical grip

OP, what type of adhesive is it?

Thank you for your answers... the glue is SAVES NAILS INSTANT GRAB ADHESIVE. The surface is plastered but a lot is covered with wallpaper, which I can remove and sand. Is there a better adhesive that doesn't require an applicator, I find them too fiddly and they block up quickly?

All these grab adhesives require a gun - if the nozzle is blocking up too easily cut it so that the hole at the end is bigger. You really need generous gobs of adhesive for the stuff to work, not little spots. The alternative is to use @foxhole 's favourite, low expansion foam, which doesn't require a gun because many foams come in an applicator can

Another thing to note is that a lot of grab adhesives skin over, especially in warm weather, so when you install the boards if you are having issues getting the adhesive to stick try to plant them on the wall maybe 10 to 20mm to the right or left of their intended final position, then press into the wall and jiggle right and left into position. This little "dance" can help break the skin and improve the glue's adhesion

Last edited by a moderator:
Your product is a modified silicane polymer. They are ideal for those kind of jobs, but others have said, unless the wall and skirting are perfectly level, you will need something to lock the skirting in place until the MS polymer cures.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back