UPVC Window Draught

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently bought a house, which one window seems to be the source of some draughts.

The window is a normal shape - rectangular (horizontal orientation), with the opening a full height on the right hand side, which is rectangular (horizontal orientation).

The window takes the prevailing wind, so it shows up any problems - and there are some.

The draught appears to be mainly at the bottom edge of the window - and slightly up the sides.

All the plastic work seems straight and true, but the bottom seems to have less impression on the seal than the top - when closed, almost like the opening part is tilted slightly.

So I thought - I'll replace the seals around the opening, so got a few sample packs and went for the biggest (within reason) that would fit to work around this, but it's not done all that much - anyone else seen a problem like this?

I am under the assumption (looking at other bits in the house) that the previous owner had work done by total planks and on the mega cheap!

I'm after some ideas that are simple for now, as I will look to replace the unit over the next year.

I've found this quite hard to explain, so if needs be I will post more info, maybe photos / diagrams.

Cheers

Ian

Sponsored Links
Hi Ian

The most common reason for this lack of seal is that the window hinge is wearing out and no longer pulling the window in tight,besides the locking system on the one side of your opening vent this is the only other tensioner on the window and is the opposite side.

Alan

Cheers Alan,

I have had a passing glance at the hinge, but will have a better look later on.

Thanks again

Ian

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back