UPVC window trim installed over existing wallpaper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm decorating the front room of our house, but have a small issue in that the UPVC windows have two-inch cills that fill between the frame and the walls, and they've been installed over the top of existing wallpaper, which now needs to come off.

As it is at the moment, it's all rather messy as the process of removing the paper has lifted the caulking/sealant in some places.

I'm not sure how best to solve this issue - my first thought was just to run a blade along the edge of the sealant and make it as neat as possible, but I'd like a more thorough solution if possible, so I've registered here in the hope that someone might be able to advise?

Regards,
Dan

Edit - here's a picture to illustrate:

IMG_3392.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thats probably your best option, Sharp blade around the edge and then use a scraper to get all the sealant off. Clean the trims then apply a new caulk sealant.

You could pull the trims off and look at plastering right upto the window or fit new smaller trims depending on how much damage was done to the plaster but that will be alot more work.

Thanks for the advice. I ended up taking a blade to it, removing the paper and the old caulk and have re-caulked it myself. Happy with the results.

Thanks again. :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back