UPVC Windows - no sealing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To cut a long story short...

Moved into a rented place a few months ago, not bad, but in need of some work. All of the UPVC windows are blown, but as it's rented, there isn't a lot I can do about that.

Decorated the bedroom a few months ago, & have noticed recently mold growing coming through the wall, right by the bedroom window. It was only when I was in the garden this morning when I noticed that not only has the bedroom window has NO sealant between the frame & the wall, but NONE of the windows in the property have no sealant either.

Some of the gaps are upto 2-3 inches wide!
Is water getting in the gaps?

Is this standard practice, or a bad bodge job?
Sadly, I think the windows were put in about 15 yrs ago, & so out of any kind of warranty.

Would this be a contributory factor in the damp on the bedroom wall? (None of the other walls has the damp problem).

Would it be worth it to get some UPVC mastic sealant & fill it myself? Or would the spray foam be a better option?

This house really doesn't hold the heat, even though It's had the walls blown with the insualation. Would it make much difference?

Have included some pics to show the problem...

Many thanks in advance,

Lee

IMGP1160RS.jpg

IMGP1161RS.jpg

IMGP1163RS.jpg

IMGP1162RS.jpg

Sponsored Links
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Wow that is definatley a bodge. They do want sealing, Ideally foaming and sealing and trimming in some places too if the gaps are a few inchs.

Personaly I would say do not do this yourself. As you are a tenant it is the landlords responsibility, not only his responsibility but he should want to get it sorted promptly, This could be causeing thousands of pounds worth of damage to his property if left unsealed.

My advice would be to get a few quotes from local companys and pass them on to the landlord with the advice that this could end up costing him alot of money if its not rectified.

I have no idea how many window need doing or the acsess etc but wouldnt have thought it would cost more than a days labour + sealents, trims and foam, Maybe around £200 max probably cheaper.

Yes get it sealed.

You can get upvc cloaking, small pieces of upvc trim to cover the gaps, wickes do it.

Clean all surfaces with meth, thinners etc and white silicone seal round everywhere, inside and out.

XR4, he's the tenant, he can't do a thing.

Either complain to the managing agent/landlord or move.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Technically he could do it but I seriously advise against it as if he gets involved an unscrupulpus landlord may try to hold him responsable for any future damage or even damage that has already been caused.

Contact the landlord, he is responsible to sort any damp issues, as long as the damp is not caused by drying laundry inside, he is also required to redecorate. The landlord is not required to change the windows/glass unless it has a structural isssue.
The landlord must be given time to fix the issue, make notes of what you say and when you say it, texting is a good way or put it in writing, it is then recorded. It's also an environmental health issue as well, contact them.
As Gazman said £200 tops to foam, trim and seal

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back