Driveway contractor problem (not working as agreed)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi please advise urgently. Irish or gypsy guy owing pavers driveway in Watford told me he would put a soak away within £5,500 cost of pavers drive way he has now said I don’t need it and the rain is will run into the garden boarder at bottom of driveway
The drive way has type 1 on top of hardcore and has risen considerably and now my lawn is 18 inches lower
I can’t not carry my lawnmower over this height to get to the lawn
Previously my lawn was almost the same height as my path from front door. The guys who built the drive are from Albania and don’t speak a word so I have to wait for Timmy the owner to return when he collects them to take tgem
Home. I told him I am not happy he has risen the Drivway considerably he said he made to drive way to match my neighbours driveway but her lawn is higher and is level with her driveway . My lawn is much lower. I am not happy and I have not paid him yet He is not listening to me and I am a female on my own. I don’t know what to do
The pavers go on top of type one tomorrow. Please advise anyone. I wish I knew someone who could be there to argue this out with him I would even pay the person to stick up for me. I am in Elstree Hertfordshire Here are the photos can you understand what I mean any advice please

Attachments

• IMG_5289.jpeg
    IMG_5289.jpeg
    349.6 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_5304.jpeg
    IMG_5304.jpeg
    787.8 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_5303.jpeg
    IMG_5303.jpeg
    820.6 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_5302.jpeg
    IMG_5302.jpeg
    832.4 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_5307.jpeg
    IMG_5307.jpeg
    787.4 KB · Views: 141
Sponsored Links
Post is a bit garbled but looks like you have employed chancers rather than pavers , if the blocks go in at the height set in photo the rain run off will be into the house thru the air vent shown in the photo causing damp and possible flooding breaching any dpc.

Sponsored Links
Post is a bit garbled but looks like you have employed chancers rather than pavers , if the blocks go in at the height set in photo the rain run off will be into the house thru the air vent shown in the photo causing damp and possible flooding breaching any dpc.
Thank you sorry yes it did sound garbled it was late last night when I posted and all stressed out
That’s my worry about the flooding he was suppose to put in a soak away within the price and then changed his mind once started and said you have a boarder at end of driveway so the water will run off in to this.
Today he arrived with different builders and pulled the Albanian guys off the job for some reason
I spoke to him about what he got the other guys to do this morning he would not listen to me and got angry and said ok i will remove the type 1 I think it’s called and you pay me what I have done so far I said that’s fine then he continued to tell the Irish guys to continue to work
I have not paid him yet
The police says they would not get involved

Thank you sorry yes it did sound garbled it was late last night when I posted and all stressed out
That’s my worry about the flooding he was suppose to put in a soak away within the price and then changed his mind once started and said you have a boarder at end of driveway so the water will run off in to this.
Today he arrived with different builders and pulled the Albanian guys off the job for some reason
I spoke to him about what he got the other guys to do this morning he would not listen to me and got angry and said ok i will remove the type 1 I think it’s called and you pay me what I have done so far I said that’s fine then he continued to tell the Irish guys to continue to work
I have not paid him yet
The police says they would not get involved
The police have to get involved if he becomes aggressive or threatening.

Try not to give him cash

Try to find out his real name and address

I have a feeling he will not agree to either

You might have some luck with council trading standards, but as you know local council budgets have been cut down by government over the last 14 years and they are now very under resourced.

If you can get anyone to record conversations on phone or CCTV it will give evidence.
Try to get neighbours to photograph vehicle and registration number.

if he is aggressive or threatening lock yourself in the house and call the police. Do not let him in your house and tell him to leave.

They will not want to help with a contractual dispute but threatening behaviour is their job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back